Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Cool picture jaredshs- I also like the feeders with the perch. A lot being sold now that the birds just hover and it's harder to watch them. I use the red juice, made from the packets sold at Lowes. Looks like you brew your own?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Really cool! In that second pic, are they sitting perched? Or hovering and the camera isn't picking up the wings? I've never seen them perch before.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the secone picture they are both perched. I brew my own juice-- 1/2 part sugar to one part water, and boil it breifly on the stove. Late in the evening just before dark there is usually about 20 of them "swarming around the feeders. Quite a sight. The other day I was taking one of
the feeders down to fill it, and a Hummer flew in and landed on the perch while I was getting ready to bring it in the house. He acted like he didn't want me to take the feeder away. He
finally flew off.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's another shot a dusk, I counted eight in ithis picture. They are very difficult to catch
in a picture. They move before you can mash the button.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Man that last picture is really cool.
When you gave the mix, is that the same as 1 part sugar and 2 parts water?
You have a regular fill-er-up hummer station there. I have only had a couple so far. Guess they haven't migrated my way yet.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jimbo1096
Ratio is 1/2 cup sugar to 1 cup water.(your right-- --1 to 2)

Just be patient---they will come. We have had more this year than any year before. I think
this is the third year I have really worked at it. They came back here about 4 weeks ago. Two
young ones from last years brood came in first. I didn't even have a feeder up yet. They
flew by the porch "lookin" around. I put the feeders up the next day. For about 2 weeks it was
just the two yearlins. About two weeks later they "all" arrived, some of them I could tell were
the older birds from last year. Now their babies are out of the nest and are flying with them.

If you have two this year----next year you will have at least five or
six.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Great Pictures. I love to watch Gods wild Birds and Animals that he gave us. If you was raised a Country Boy, its easy to get close to nature when you are out in the country. I watch Deer, Turkey and Coyotes about every time I go camping at the Ranch.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Before my last divorce I use to feed the hyming birds I always bought the stuff that they sold in the feed store so they would get more than just sugar wated. Had several feeders and my son and I would watch them. They would really put a show for you.
Someday I am going to get another place and feed the hymiong birds and alot more animal's

·
Registered
576 Posts
We live right on the Missouri River in our city limits between South Dakota and Nebraska. We are about 60' above our dock so we have 64 steps to climb down and then back up. All along the way are climbing plants that have orange blooms. Humming birds love them. I was told by a friend that they were "humming bird" plants. My wife knows the real name for them; I forgot. The humming birds are fun to watch.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
This little dude showed up this evening while I had my camera in hand... He perched on our "sheppards hook" that our seed bird feeders hang on. As a reference, the sheppards hook is 3/8" X 3/8" metal...

I also caught this Mama Finch feeding her baby...

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Damn nice Mr. Nettles. Mine have all gone away. There is a spotted thrush nest with babies in the bush next to the hummer feeder and I wonder if that is keeping them away.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
jaredshs...sure you're not lacin' the sugar water with a little Southern Comfort...looks like happy hour to me.....:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts