Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I knew the difference until I read Google. == "In as FMJ the base of the bullet is exposed lead, and in the TMJ the bullet is fully covered with a copper plating."

I have been shooting Blazer Brass which has copper bullets and FMJ on the box. This is not what Google says. == Yesterday I picked up a box of Federal American Eagle and it did not have either on the box but had lead bullets and copper casing. == Which is FMJ and which is best to use in your gun? Thanks,

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
TMJ's are primarily used by competitive shooters to limit their exposure to lead. I've reloaded with both FMJ and TMJ and have found no difference in shootability or accuracy.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,569 Posts
Argee is correct. As for Blaser Brass, they market their rounds as FMJ but actually use Berry's plated bullets. A couple of older 9mm pistols I have tested (Browning Hi Power and Star BM) have preferred traditional FMJ bullets. Most handguns shoot the Blaser Brass just fine.

·
Registered
411 Posts
You can not fully encapsulate the bullet core with a 'conventional' jacket which is formed independently (of copper alloy or sometimes steel) and then has a lead core added which is why jacketed bullets are either open at the base or hollow points. There is generally a substantial difference in the thickness and strength of a jacket over a few thousandths of an inch of plating. Other than keeping the bore cleaner and better controlling airborne lead, plated bullets act very much like plain lead bullets.

Bruce

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the answers, but which is FMJ and which is TMJ.? Blazer Brass said FMJ on the box (bullets are copper coated) which contradicts what Google said. Is the Google statement in my original post incorrect?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
The base of the bullet (which is exposed lead) is inside the casing. To the average shooter looking at a round that has not been fired, you will not see lead.

·
Registered
743 Posts
TMJ is “Totally Metal Jacket” the lead is encapsulated in the copper jacketing. There are several ways they can achieve this, but the benefit is, the base of the bullet (the part facing the powder in the brass casing) is not exposed lead exposed to burning powder. The other benefit is reduced fouling in your barrel and the once fired brass is much cleaner inside as long as the manufacturer is using the right powders.

Winchester WinClean and Speer Lawman TMJ use this concept.

plated bullets do encapsulate the lead, but the strength, method of application and composition of the jacket is quite different.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Blazer Brass is a thin plated bullet. That is why the box says "do not use in firearms with ported barrels or ported recoil compensators". So except for the ported .40, it gets a lot of use in 180gr .40 and 124gr 9x19 in the other pistols.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts