Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have now reached a point I didn't think I'd ever get to. I bought a gun today, not because I wanted it (yes, I wanted it, but that wasn't why I bought it), but because I got offered a deal I couldn't refuse. $100 over invoice for gun that has only been released to 8 dealers in the US.

I bought a brand new FN SCAR 17S (Heavy - 7.62x51mm .308). The cool factor on this gun is way over the top. Designed to be a contender to replace the venerable M-4, it is chocked full of new goodies and refinements.

This is from FN's website:
AS CLOSE AS YOU CAN GET WITHOUT ENLISTING.

Experience the long-range accuracy, downrange power, exceptional reliability and match winning versatility of the FN SCAR™ 17S, the semi-auto only version of the U.S. Special Operations Command’s newest service rifle. Chambered in 7.62x51mm NATO (308 Win.), the SCAR 17S features a free-floating, cold hammer-forged MIL-SPEC barrel with hardchromed bore. Fully-ambidextrous operating controls instantly adapt the SCAR 17S to any user or any shooting position. The receiver-integrated MIL-STD 1913 optical rail plus three accessory rails enable mounting of a wide variety of scopes, electronic sights, tactical lights and lasers. The telescoping, side-folding polymer stock is fully adjustable for comb height and length of pull, making it ideal for Heavy Metal 3-Gun matches.
I just brought it home for it's first "baby" pictures.

A YouTube video someone posted (not me) FN SCAR 17S Heavy Review - YouTube

·
Registered
90 Posts
Wow, I want one. Wait a minute, I'm in California, can't have one :mad:

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is one SWEEEEET looking gun. BAD ASS too. I guess, Merry Christmas to you...huh? Enjoy it.:cool:
Thanks! It was kind of a surpise Christmas present even though I bought it. I just heard about this deal a few days ago. My dealer wanted to sell it before Christmas. He said if he didn't he was going to raise the price another $150 afterwards. He gave me first dibs on buying it so I snatched it up. From what I found on the web, everyone else wanted more and there were only a couple I found actually available. While I was there he got a call from a PD wanting to buy a quantity of them. But they're just barely trickling out into the non-military market.

I hear it's a very sought after weapon in the sandbox.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As nice as it is in semi-auto, it's a real eye-opener in the full-auto military version. I've put a lot more rounds downrange from behind the MK 16 than the 17 but they're both much more controllable and MUCH more durable and reliable than any other carbine I've ever tried. You got a black one too! I think those are harder to find.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW - I bought the SCAR from Gunforall.com or GUNNET. I know for a fact he doesn't have anymore SCARs at the moment, but he plans on carrying what he can get when he can. He's almost always got the lowest prices on the Internet. And I believe he offers free shipping, though his shop is not far from where I live so I just drive over and pick them up.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took the SCAR 17S out for it's de-virginization today. It is...

SCHWEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the target I shot after getting the iron sights locked in. This is 20 rnds at 25 yards, with BUIS. It's going to take a little getting used to, but I think I'm beginning to get the hang of it! :)

It has got one sweet trigger on it. Little travel, light (but not too light) pull, smooth, consistent and you just have to move it a tad to reset it. The recoil is amazingly light. And speaking of light, that is one light rifle. It weighs in at a meager 8lbs even in the 7.62x51 caliber (unloaded). It had a nice throaty BANG so it let's people know close by that you're serious! :p

I also found out at my LGS today that I apparently have one of only 500 of these rifles that were released to the public! He said the military special forces have bought up all the rest that FNH can make.

That's kind of cool for me, but I only have one magazine. :eek:

And finding parts and mags ain't gunna be easy! :(

The next thing it needs is a red dot sight. I have an EOTech MPO III I'd bought for the M1A SOCOM that's not working out like I'd planned, but it would be perfect for the SCAR 17S. I may put that EOTech on the SCAR and order an AimPoint for the SOCOM 16. I dunno yet... got to think about that!

·
Registered
69 Posts
You might want to give the Magpul, angled foregrip AFG® - Angled Fore Grips - AFG® - Angled Fore Grip instead of the vertical grip. Two of my friends have the SCAR 17. I shot the first one and he had the AFG, I told my other buddy about it and he went for the AFG2. Having shot both I really like them.
The good thing about the forward grip is it tends to force your hand forward so you don't whack your thumb with the bolt handle (if you have it on the left side and are shooting right handed.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just posted this video on YouTube a few minutes ago of me shooting the SCAR 17S out in the open desert. I don't plan on getting into the habit of posting gun videos, but a friend of mine is a video producer and he made this one for me.

Check it out if you like.

JLH820 shooting an FN SCAR 17S - YouTube

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
I have rented a scar 17 in pennsylvania and it is great. My budget does not allow it. However I cannot own it anyway with a folding stock as nj does not allow semi auto rifles with a folding or collapsing stock.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You might want to give the Magpul, angled foregrip AFG® - Angled Fore Grips - AFG® - Angled Fore Grip instead of the vertical grip. Two of my friends have the SCAR 17. I shot the first one and he had the AFG, I told my other buddy about it and he went for the AFG2. Having shot both I really like them.
The good thing about the forward grip is it tends to force your hand forward so you don't whack your thumb with the bolt handle (if you have it on the left side and are shooting right handed.
I just took a look at it. It looks interesting, but the main reason I wanted a foregrip was to keep my hand off the barrel since the SCAR produces quite a bit of heat. It looks like if I were to use the AFG2, I'd still be putting my thumb on a hot barrel.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I just posted this video on YouTube a few minutes ago of me shooting the SCAR 17S out in the open desert. I don't plan on getting into the habit of posting gun videos, but a friend of mine is a video producer and he made this one for me.

Check it out if you like.

JLH820 shooting an FN SCAR 17S - YouTube
Excellent video.
Looks like you and the SCAR 175 are having a blast!

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts