Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WELL....... Got my Ruger 10/22 back from the Ruger Factory last week. It did a lot of not so nice things before I sent it, FTF, FTE, stove piping. They replaced the bolt and range tested it. Was reported to be problem free. I got to the range last week and it had the same problems that existed before I sent it. I know the bolt was replaced with new firing pin and ejector. The markings were different on the new bolt.I said to myself, God can it get any worse than this? Then I tried something. I remembered all the problems I had were with Mini-Mags copper plated HOLLOW POINTS approx.1235 FPS. I had some of the same but copper plated round nose. They were flawless. Last week I shot 150 rounds with no problems at all, and today I shot 350 rounds that were flawless. I have a BX25 that I could not even begin to use with the hollow points. Yesterday I loaded two sets of 25 ea. and again flawless. I put some remington Goldens CPRN through it and no problems, some Winchester 1300 fps CPRN and no problems at all. Also some American Eagle CPRN and no problems. I have 3 BX-1 mags, all were flawless.Also an HCSR mag loaded with CPRN and YEP! ....flawless. I had some CCI HOLLOW POINTS that I loaded up at the end of my range time yesterday and sure enough, several problems. SO....approx. 500 rounds of CPRN using 4 different makes and perfect operation of the rifle. I guess I will conform to the round nose as long as it does not start doing what the hollow points do. I will never hunt or shoot outside at small game, and never have a need for hollow points, for I have braces on my legs and can't walk off of pavement. I will only shoot the gun in an inside range. Somehow it doesn't seem right that I should settle with this situation with a brand new gun, but I really don't care to go through the effort of sending it back again. I guess Ruger must have used ROUND NOSE when they test fired it or they would have fixed it. I don't know.:confused: I sure did enjoy myself on the range yesterday.:) Comments appreciated. Thank You Guys, Paul

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
It's your call, Paul, but with a 10/22 in would be inclined to be picky about it. I thinking send it back with a note that you want it to be able to cycle both round nose and hollow point bullets reliably.

I am often critical of people who post on forums that they sent back their new gun because it jammed twice in the first 50 rounds. Your situation is different, though. You have fired substantial amount of ammo thru your rifle. Also, a 10/22 is like a Glock. Like Glocks, people buy 10/22's because they're ultra-reliable. A 10/22 should reliably cycle any 22 LR ammo. I'd at least call Ruger again and see what they say. They may just decide to replace your gun with a new one.

Good luck, Paul.

·
Super Moderator
4,070 Posts
I agree with Ditto1958. One of the main reasons to buy a 10/22 is they are so darn reliable. Give CS a call and explain what you just wrote. That rife should be able to function just fine with HP ammo. Something isn't right.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I guess I'll disagree and say that some 10/22s are ammo picky. My first 10/22 would not feed Winchester 22 for anything. It really liked the Remington thunderbolts. I've have several 10/22s since then that liked the Winchester white box and wouldn't feed or shoot the Remington green boxes. It's all about finding which ammo works in your gun.

If you have a friend or neighbor who has a 10/22 ask if you can try the same CCI hollowpoints in their gun and see if it jams too.
Or you know, you could always buy another 10/22 since they're so darned fun!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,415 Posts
Plus 1^^^^

·
Registered
90 Posts
Surprised nobody mentioned that some CCI hollow points are fat measuring a full .224 or more. I've found this in Mini-Mags and the lead subsonic 40gr hollow points they sell. I have some guns that will feed them and some that won't. The ones that won't feed everything else fine.

It always comes down to the bullet being fat or at least the waxy lube on the bullet making it measure fatter than normal.

Try some hollow points from other makers and I bet your gun feed them fine.

See if you can find a different lot # of Mini-Mags and you may find they feed fine.

Good luck and hope this helps.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If the HPs and RNs are hitting just below the chamber it may be the same issue I have been having.

I found that the alignment of the mag to receiver was off. The Allen head spring bolt on the front of mag should slip into the round alignment hole drilled into the receiver. Mine did not the hole in the receiver was drilled a bit to high up. Therefore the front of the mag would sit low and to far back from the chamber. I took the receiver and barrel out of the stock and tried to get the mag to align to that hole and could see it was up to high. No way unless the hole was lowered.

Both my friends rifles shot everything that mine would not. Also their magazine fits into that alignment hole and the mag is tight in the well. I guess that some ammo may be substandard or whatever Affecting accuracy. I would wager that most should be just fine for cycling may not be as accurate as the next, but cycling shouldn't be and issue. iMO.

My second gun is back at Ruger as I write this. I talked with CS, telling them what I found was wrong with the rifle and that a supervisor check it and give me a call, prior to sending it or another back. Haven't heard nothing from them as yet. I will say they have been very understanding and try their best to accomadate.

I found that some RN would cycle if I wedged or taped the rear of the mag to tighten it some. But watching the round slide into the chamber you could see it scrape along the bottom edge. This would damage or take some material off the lower side of the bullet. The rounds that were fired were not real accurate.

HPs would hit the flat part below the chamber and stop, bending the bullet down.

I am wondering if there was numerous receivers that had the alignment hole drilled slightly off. This could be the reason we are reading so many FTF issues lately.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've mentioned the problem I had where I was having bullets blow out thru the rims. Bought a KIDD bolt, problem solved. I'm sure Ruger would have fixed it cheaper.

I've fired very few round nose rounds thru my 10-22. I have fired over a 1,000 rounds of Armscor HP thru it without a problem; along with several other brands of HP ammo.

.22lr weapons can be choosy about ammo. I have a HK4 (pistol) that won't handle any mfg's HP ammo. A lot of factors are involved. Best advice, find ammo that works in a weapon and use it exclusively.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now I'm (totally) happy with my 10/22

After receiving my rifle back from the factory, a few of you gents suggested to not be content with just being able to fire only round nose. That kept going through my mind. So.....I decided to work on that problem myself. I went to the KIDD site and purchased as many parts as I could that had anything to do with moving the cartridge up out of the magazine, into the chamber, and being extracted. The parts that KIDD did not have I purchased from Ruger. Those all included a new firing pin, extractor, extractor spring and plunger, ejector, cocking handle guide rod and recoil spring assy.,magazine latch plunger and heavy duty spring. My investment was not much at all, plus I wanted the satisfaction of doing it myself. I did not know if this would work but I figured I already had a new bolt, not to mention the gun was only 2 months old. Well.....It now fires hollow points. I really pushed it to the limits, 250 rounds of Mini Mag HP and not one misfeed. The plunger spring that holds the magazine in place seemed very soft. So I purchased the heavy duty one from KIDD. If I had to guess, that might have been a major factor with fixing the problem. The magazine seemed to have some forward/reverse movement when installed, and this new plunger with the heavy duty spring definitely holds it in and pushes it up forward very tight. For me this was all hit and miss, I don't know much about the internal workings of the gun, but I got lucky and learned a few things. Also thanks to you guys that responded to my original thread and got me to press forward to solve this problem.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Nice!

·
Banned
1,033 Posts
doing it yourself always has a satisfaction factor. And doing it and fixing the problem is even better. You had fun, learned some stuff, and now youre happy!

Aint Life Good?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts