Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2Late I was at the range this evening trying some Winchester factory 158gr JHPs in my 50th Ann. .357 Blackhawk. I am not having much luck using cast in this gun but these JHPs did somewhat better. I loaded ten each over 12.5 and 13.5 grains of 2400. The lighter load put ten shots in about 2.5" and the heavier load put nine shots in 1.5" with one flyer about an inch out. I shot these at about twenty yards over the hood of my truck with a breeze behind me.

Didn't have my chrono with me so I don't know what they're doing. I think I still have room to go up a bit more plus many other powders to try.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Sounds like you're getting there. I used to use 11 > 11 1/2grs of 2400 and cci mag primers under a 158gr CSWC in my 6" Security-Six. It always seemed to prefer lead over jacketed.

It's semi-retired now, and I'm playing with a 4" GP. Shoot Safe...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you say 4"GP and 6" Security Six?

I am also going to try the cast loads from the 50th BH in my 4" GP. Love that gun. [:p]

I also tried IMR4227 in the 50th BH tonight with the 158gr JHP and shot a very nice ten shot group with it. I may bump that load up and then run it over the chrono. If the higher load still shoots well then I'll mark it in my book as a keeper.

Jay

·
Registered
704 Posts
Nice looking wheel-guns, you need some more shiney ones in there... [8D]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.