Ruger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Y'all, I'm new here and have a question about my Alaskans... I have 2 .44mag Alaskans and they have a few differences between them. Just looking for a little info if I could.

First, the manufacturer info is different,

then there is the model stamping differences,

and finally, there is a difference in the Ruger logo and one of the guns has the a Ruger logo on the rear sights...

just curious of why there are so many differences between identical guns.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,901 Posts
Howdy and welcome from down in Florida. As to your question I would hazard to guess they are manufactured several years apart. Ruger changes the rollmarks from time to time and the changes you see are not unusual across the product lines. If you check your serial numbers and look them up here (Ruger Instruction Manuals & Product History) I would expect there to be some gap between them.

Wave

Would add the older gun has the old Southport, CT rollmark, the newer gun has the Newport, NH rollmark. Would have to check records on the date of the HQ change to NH.

·
The Shooterologist
3,991 Posts
Welcome from South Louisiana....Awesome looking short barrel bad 44's

When the 44 spoke it sent lead and smoke and 17 inches of flame. (Mr.Shorty by Marty Robbins)

·
Banned
570 Posts
Very cool.

If I lived in Alaska, or up North or me where Grizzly makes his home.

I'd carry two pistols.

The Alaska and a Glock 10mm. Backed up by a 45-70 or Mossberg as well.

I'm not scared of much but after seeing (photo) a unarmed Hiker with his jeans tore off and
his legs and chest eaten away.

Bears of all kinds scare me.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Very cool.

If I lived in Alaska, or up North or me where Grizzly makes his home.

I'd carry two pistols.

The Alaska and a Glock 10mm. Backed up by a 45-70 or Mossberg as well.

I'm not scared of much but after seeing (photo) a unarmed Hiker with his jeans tore off and
his legs and chest eaten away.

Bears of all kinds scare me.

That sounds like the same picture I saw. If it is the same one, it's been floating around on the internet for several years and is actually a Bengal tiger attack.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Wanted to make a comment about the roll marks. The older model is an actual roll mark. You can see where the metal is raised up around the lettering where it is pressed into the metal. In my opinion this doesn't add to the attractiveness of any gun. The newer marks look to be more machine engraved or done with a laser and the reason the metal isn't raised up or bulged around the marks. Makes for a smoother cleaner looking surface and all around eye appeal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.