Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
My Colt came with Packies that had sort of wrap around rubber/wood setup. I swapped them out for common checkered wood with the usual double diamonds.

My SA came with nice checkered wood and since that is my preferred look and feel they're still there.

The only guns I've changed are my Single Six, OM Blackhawk, P230 and Stoeger Cougar. The last two were changed for better grip and not cosmetics.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I changed out the grips on my Kimber for some of those Punisher grips. I know, they're cheesy, but my girlfriend (at the time) liked them. What ya gonna do?

·
Registered
824 Posts
I've always preferred the walnut double diamond checkered grips for my 1911's...

There is a ton of aftermarket grips for 1911's everthing from G10, micarta, stag etc...the sheer variety of just grip materials can stagger the imagination...

Yet there is somthing about the simplicity of checkered walnut grip panels that says this 1911 is a 1911 through and through...

·
Registered
583 Posts
I like the stock grips on my SR1911, with the nice Ruger emblem - mine are looking a bit worn compared to this pic

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I've got a friend who is a gun smith and he makes custome grips. All of my 1911s wear customs. I have some rose wood, cocabolo, ivory, and maple.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I rarely change grips on any of my short guns. All my Rugers wear the stock grips and, overall, I think Ruger does a nice job on their grips.
I've been know to buy a used gun sporting a set of after market grips and then order a set of original factory grips to replace them...Mostly happens with my SA revolvers...It's a case of I want the gun just not the (oversized rubber) grips...:;)

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,076 Posts
There are two trains of thought on grips ... some people go for looks while other go for fit and function. I guess I'm stuck in the middle. When I shoot any of my 1911s, I install Pachmayer wrap around grips with finger grooves. These grips fit me the best of any I have ever tried and improve my marksmanship considerably. After I get home from shooting and clean my 1911, I'll swap back to the factory grips because I don't want anyone to see the ugly rubber grips.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
Another alternative are the Pearce Finger Groove Inserts. That's what I have on mine. It cost me less than $10 and I get to keep the beautiful stock grips and get the fingergrooves I like so well.

·
Registered
824 Posts
There are two trains of thought on grips ... some people go for looks while other go for fit and function. I guess I'm stuck in the middle. When I shoot any of my 1911s, I install Pachmayer wrap around grips with finger grooves. These grips fit me the best of any I have ever tried and improve my marksmanship considerably. After I get home from shooting and clean my 1911, I'll swap back to the factory grips because I don't want anyone to see the ugly rubber grips.
You swap them out??:D
I'm gussing that true for a lot of shooters...that...function and looks don't necessarily come in the same package.

The mainspring housing, whether arched or flat can also have some bearing on how the 1911 fits ones hands, I know it does for me, with a flat mainspring housing I find that I often have to adjust my grip.

·
Registered
111 Posts
well i make custom grips, so i can have a perfect fit and they look good.:cool:

Rattlesnake.

zebrawood.

mesquite burl.

axis antler.

various hardwoods.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts