Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen lots of posts on this forum and others about what type of cleaning rod to use and bore guides.
I have the above mentioned rifle and want a one piece rod and wonder if a bore guide is necessary. I saw one post that some .22lr rods are actually too small and I have not seen a bore guide specifically for .22lr.
So, those that have this particular rifle: Which rod and do you use a bore guide, and which one? Are you happy with your choice?

·
Registered
81 Posts
In general terms, I've migrated away from cleaning rods in favor of bore snakes for my rimfires. Several years ago I bought a Dewey rod from Brownell's and can speak highly of it. Mostly the rod gets used with a generic multi-caliber plastic bore guide when I do my centerfire rifles.

·
Banned
650 Posts
I have an Outers graphite bore cleaning rod. I don't use a guide on a 22. All the guides I have are to large to protect a 22 barrel. I am sure there are guides out there that will work on a 22 but each guide would have to be made for your rifle. I am not sure I will buy another graphite rod. The rod does great for brushing the barrel but it sucks at wiping the barrel clean. I have long cleaning jags that should handle a large patch. The graphite rod will only push a patch about half the size that an aluminum rod will push.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I use boresnakes. Does the job.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The RAR is a bolt action, making it very easy to run a rod from breech to muzzle and also a snap to quickly inspect the bore.

Another advantage of a bolt action is the single shot ability for any type of .22 ammo out there. It's difficult, if not impossible, to load one of those little BB caps in my Auto, Lever or Pumps.

A piece of weed whacker string is stiff enough to feed through a barrel for cleaning and oiling in the field.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered a dewey rod for when I want to do a good brushing and will use a snake more often than not for convenience. Thanks for replies.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,044 Posts
Danw, I'm a bit late to the party but just wanted to provide some info. The most popular diameter for a 22 cal cleaning rod is 13/64" (.203"). This is the largest conventional diameter that will fit in the bore. The next biggest conventional diameter is a 7/32" ... which is just a few thousandths to large for a 22 LR bore. Although the true bore size of a 22 LR rifle is .222", the distance between the lands (rifling) is about .21".

I really like solid brass cleaning rods ... in fact I make my own using my Mini-lathe. I also make my own bore guides ... great for cleaning from the muzzle end without risk of damage to the crown.

Rifle cleaning rods are a bit too long to photograph well so here's a picture of some of my handgun cleaning rods with free spin handles. The one at the top is for a 17 cal (5/32"), the next is a 22 cal (13/64"), and the largest is 1/4" for all centerfire handguns. All but the 17 cal are drilled and tapped with standard 8x32 threads that fit bore brushes and other accessories. You may note .... the cleaning rods are also equipped with muzzle bore guides. They look like a cone on one end that fits inside the bore ... and rounded on the other end so you can hold them in place when moving the cleaning rod in and out. The two short rods near the bottom are for cleaning revolver cylinders and have a solid handle. The accessories at the bottom are jags and slot tips for various sized cleaning rods.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Wish I had that talent.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just read your response concerning cleaning rods, have you thought of making them. If so I would be interested in one for a ruger american rimfire in 22 lr, I have to pistols ruger sr9c and a s&w m&p 22 lr. Thanks for the information.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts