Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my days off and of course it is raining again. Guns are whistle clean, done organized the reloading bench--did not want to watch the idiot box.

So.......out comes a lee loader in 45 colt.

It's been a while---a long while since i made handgun rounds on a lee loader. The rifle rounds are so much easier with a Lee loader as it only neck sizes and does not require so much pounding.

Borrowed the cutting board and crisco from the wife's kitchen, got to the table and away i went. Took a while to get back in the groove so to speak. [:I].

With all the hammering and banging you would have thought i was throwing up a wall in the house. It all came back to me and eventually i was pounding away making ammo.:D Kept the mind occupied for a while and in its own obsolete charming way it was fun to roll them out one at a time by hand with no press.

Kept it very basic and true to its design with no cheating. finger rubbed a very thin film of crisco on the cases for lube, used my pocket knife to chamfer the cases, used the supplied powder dipper and some Hodgen Clays powder. Even got the primer pounding done without touching one off.

Took my sweet time and did not get in a hurry. Did 50 rounds in around 2 1/2 hours more or less with some interuptions. Could had gone much faster but what would be the point?:)

Does make one appreciate a press as i could have cranked out a 150 rounds on a turret press in an hour---but still was a lot of fun---guess i am just easily amused.;) Of course the wife put in her two cents about all the hammering but what the heck.[:p]

Think i'll talk daughter into grabbing a hammer and joining in next time![^]

On the down side---they don't build cuttin' boards like they use to![:0] Going to have to buy the wife a new one![8][B)][:p]:):D

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Sounds like you had fun. I haven't tried with my Grandkids, but my Son and Step-Daughter used to get down in the kitchen floor and help me and they had a big time and still remember it. We had to use the Kitchen floor, because it was tile, and the rest of the house was carpeted. You've inspired me to dig out my dies and let my Grandkids see how its done.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I bought one of those at a yard sale yesterday for the 223 round for $3.00. They are fun but slow. I have had one for the 44Mag round since at least 1973. I used to make rounds in the barracks.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does have a tendency to make a feller slow down and be more carefull about shot placement.;)
Makes you appreciate every round you built.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I still have my .45 Colt and 30-30 Lee Loaders. They are retired, for decoration only. I gave them up because the pounding gave me a severe case of the nervous nellies. Especially the priming part.
If I had to depend on a Lee Loader today, I'd give up shooting.

Joe

·
Registered
842 Posts
The first handgun rds I reloaded were with this Lee Loader. Found out later I could have bought it even cheaper if I'd shopped around but no matter. Slow as molasses but I could make enough ammo to take on hunting and fishing trips to plink a bit afterwards. I keep it sort of for nostalgia's sake, but if it was all I had, I'd still use it today.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, daughter got to try out the lee loader today!

She built 20 rounds with a little help from dad. Wish i had a video camera. Biggest problem was with of course setting the primers. She was a bit shy on the priming and doing a lot of tapping and not much hammering. [:p]
Had to take over a cpl of times and demonstrate. She finally got the hang of it and started using some force and only got carried away once and set one off. All that resulted in was a big grin from her:D.
Took a picture off the wall and showed her that if you stand the primed caseing with die up on the glass payne, it will show if there is any wobble and the primer needs to be set deeper--don't depend on just looking. I think she is hooked. Not that i want her to use it all the time but i did want her to learn about lee loaders.:)

·
Premium Member
2,902 Posts
Never used one, but I did start out with a Lyman Tong Tool. Both are pretty slow, but they do the job.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I love em, they are great to keep around, I need to find one in 303 Savage. My daughter likes depriming and case trimming, I personally think she is nuts. :D Les

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.