Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This should be seen only to those whose level of maturity qualifies them to relate to it...

1966: Long hair
2016: Longing for hair

1966: KEG
2016: EKG

1966: Acid rock
2016: Acid reflux

1966: Moving to California because it's cool
2016: Moving to Arizona because it's warm

1966: Trying to look like Marlon Brando or Liz Taylor
2016: Trying NOT to look like Marlon Brando or Liz Taylor

1966: Seeds and stems
2016: Roughage

1966: Hoping for a BMW
2016: Hoping for a BM

1966: Going to a new, hip joint
2016: Receiving a new hip joint

1966: Rolling Stones
2016: Kidney Stones

1966: Screw the system
2016: Upgrade the system

1966: Disco
2016: Costco

1966: Parents begging you to get your hair cut
2016: Children begging you to get their heads shaved

1966: Passing the drivers' test
2016: Passing the vision test

1966: Whatever
2016: Depends

Just in case you weren't feeling too old today, this will certainly change things. Each year the staff at Beloit College in Wisconsin puts together a list to try to give the faculty a sense of the mindset of this year's incoming freshmen. Here's this year's list:

The people who are starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1998.

They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up.

Their lifetime has always included AIDS.

Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.

The CD was introduced 7 years before they were born.

They have always had an answering machine.

They have always had cable.

They cannot fathom not having a remote control..

Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.

They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.

They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.

They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.

They never heard: "Where's the Beef?" "I'd walk a mile for a Camel" or "de plane, Boss, de plane."

They do not care who shot J. R. and have no idea who J. R. even is.

Mc Donald's never came in Styrofoam containers.

They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.

Do you feel old yet?

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Good one BlueMountain going to add one more on the bottom list.
This generation only knows one way to talk thats push button text talking rather then person to person voice talking!!!

·
Super Moderator
16,279 Posts
Blue Mountain ... I resemble those remarks :(

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I came across a book of "brain teasers" a few months ago and found one that truly stumped my otherwise fairly bright son (born in 1996):

"How many grooves are there on a standard LP record?"​

My son's reply: "I don't know; what's an LP record?"

The answer, for those who remember LP records (and remember why they were called "LP") is "two". Each LP record had two spiral grooves, one on each side.

Jim

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
I was born in 1937.... before WW2 began..The Golden Gate bridge was opened that year....I cried when Babe Ruth Died...I was born the year the Hindenburg blew up in New Jersey...My parents were dust bowl farmers that survived the great Depression..Ronald Reagan had his debut movie role that year.....and I need a nap

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I also fit the category of the title. Thanks Blue Mountain.

I thought LP was because the turned at 33-1/3 rpm as opposed to 45 or 78 rpm. All disc records that I remember had groves on both sides.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
This is all just a little too true for comfort.

The 45 record - the A side with the song you wanted and the B side you listened to exactly once.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
At 51 years old, I have discovered something I believe is scientifically significant. Men DO NOT loose their hair as they age. The hair simply migrates to other parts of the body. Still the same amount of hair, just redistributed.

·
Registered
445 Posts
still have vivid memories of 63...and filling the bath with water...can goods lining the dinning room wall.....
six miles from Hollowman AFB...and the sound of jets.....

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
I also fit the category of the title. Thanks Blue Mountain.

I thought LP was because the turned at 33-1/3 rpm as opposed to 45 or 78 rpm. All disc records that I remember had groves on both sides.
Yep, LPs were Long Playing Records since they turned at a slower speed that the earlier 78s.

There was at least one odd "3-sided" single with 2 grooves on one side (instead of the normal 1). That determined which song you played when you let the needle drop.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
I'm only 26, but I do feel old at times. I got asthma, high blood pressure, and young kids address me as "sir". Still a bit old fashioned even when I was younger. In the early 2000s when all kids and teens were burning their own CDs, I was still recording music onto cassettes. When kids were playing PS2, I was still playing my parent's Colecovision and my older brother's NES.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
We had all 45 and 78 records. I remember if you had an 8 track player in your car, that was pretty fancy stuff. Most were just grateful to have an AM radio.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
I used to think that I would never get old, now I cannot remember being young! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts