Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dulles Air & Space had a Halloween event for kids yesterday. We took the kids and I ended up taking tons of pictures so I thought I would post some for you Space and Aviation enthusiasts. I remember being so fascinated with airplanes as a kid and this day trip took me right back. Enjoy :)

·
Registered
827 Posts
Great pics! I was there, the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, in 2007 and was very impressed with the facility. It's amazing though to think that the air and space museum plans to make that place so much bigger than it already was even then (if I remember right, their long term plans are to more than double the interior hanger space), and already had the stuff to fill it sitting in warehouses and offsite storage! The Concord actually looks small in that hanger, from some of the overhead viewing spots :eek:

That expansion means they finally get to show stuff that the public has never seen. I especially liked the engine displays - those massive radial piston engines like the R2800 from an F4U are awesome.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Wow! Great pictures and you got to see the Shuttle Discovery and the Concord.

You have the same issue I find with very large aircraft inside museums. It's very difficult to take a photo of the entire plane. I saw the Spruce Goose in the Evergreen Air & Space Museum in Oregon, and could only get photos of parts of it. The thing is huge!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you! It's amazing how big these planes are when you're standing next to them. It was an awesome experience for the whole family.

·
Registered
485 Posts
No B-52? Nice photo's, I've been there, but I think the Air Force Museum in Dayton is far better. If you like airplanes, take a trip to Ohio, it's a must visit.

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
Awesome pictures! Looks like you all had a good time. Very interesting.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
The stories of greatness those planes could tell... The SR, C-46, 'Jug'...

My father in law flew P-47's, Jugs, in China. (The first picture is a P-47 wing with 4 of the 8 .50cal machine guns it carried. Every other US fighter carried only 6). He attacked a Japanese officer on his horse one day. I guess the movie effect of the 'red mist' is true. The battle history of the Jug is amazing.

The SR was a legend on it's first day that still stands today and probably will forever. (LA to DC in 68minutes for example)

But I digress..

·
Registered
530 Posts
That's was awesome brought the kid out in me. When I saw the F-14 "Danger zone" started playing in my head LOL. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
The SR-71 may have only been a surveillance bird, but MAN, what an incredible airplane! They look especially cool when viewed from the front. Also love the Enola Gay....the sniveling pacifists and liberals may hate her, but she did what had to be done. I would love to get that close to the granddaddy of 'em all, the one that never actually went to war, but would stop most people in their tracks just because of it's sheer size: The B-36 Peacemaker. Great pics, thanks for posting!

·
Registered
485 Posts
SAC Museum

acepilot,

Having been assigned to SAC that museum looks great. I wasn't aware it existed. I wish it were closer to Ohio. A westward vacation may direct me towards NE now. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's was awesome brought the kid out in me. When I saw the F-14 "Danger zone" started playing in my head LOL. Thanks for sharing.
Hahaha!!!! That is the exact same thing I thought about when I was looking at it. I looked at my wife and said "I feel the need..." (While putting my hand up waiting for the high five) and she just turned away and muttered "you're such a dork" :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts