Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure where to post this, but here it goes:

I've heard a lot from non foreign sources about gun laws in other countries, but I wanted to hear straight from the horses mouths (or kangaroos/sheeps mouths for some of you) in your respective countries.

What are the restrictions? What types can't you or can you not legally own? What are your experiences? Are any of you a LEO or army there? Do you have a hard time getting certain types of ammo or gear that we could just walk down to the corner store and buy any old time? What types of guns are considered highly desirable in your neck of the woods?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
None? OK, I guess it's worse then I thought. Carry on then.

·
Registered
210 Posts
im in Ireland,the laws here are very restrictive,when getting a gun you have to fill a 9page form put photos of youself with it,

get 2 people to sign and say you are of good character,

put your doctors details so they can check to see if you have ever had depression etc,

if you want to hunt you need to get at least 2 farmers to sign a letter saying you have permission to shoot on there lands and include this with the other 9pages

if you dont hunt you have to be a member of a range as target shooting on private property even your own is not allowed

you need to provide proof of competence in use of the firearm ie do a course in safety

you need secure storage in a safe of all rifles but one shotgun can be kept broken apart outside the safe

you need to give a written good reason for needing the rifle or shotgun

handguns in 22 cal can be applied for if you are a range member

handguns of the ceterfire type are unofficially banned by the police here since 2008 but if you had one before then you had to go to court to fight to keep it

it costs 80e (100$) per firearm you license and this license last 3years when this runs out you have to reapply again

if i buy a gun this week and then another in a month all the above steps need to be repeated

if you want to trade a gun in for another you have to do a substition on a like for like basis as in a 223 howa can be swapped for a 223 remington but not a 243 etc

black guns are generally not givin licenses by police ie semi autos in cals like 223

it all boils down to weather the head guard in your local station is anti gun or not what you can or cant license

22 pistols can only be shot in a range nowhere else,i can not shot a licensed ceterfire handgun belonging to someone else as its against the law

we cannot shoot blackpowder or reload

we can apply to use a moderator/silencer,it all depends on the mood of the the guard in charge of licensing if you get one or not.

licensing can take anywhere from 2-3weeks up to and over a year in some cases,you cant touch your gun until you get license

i am in the army here but it has no bearing on being allowed to hold a civilian license here

there has been serious problems here in the last few years with our gun laws

google for gun laws in ireland or check out this sight IrishShooter.com - Powered by vBulletin which has some good posts about the crazyness thats gone on here

ilove shooting but the powers that be are making it real hard to have any fun shooting here

to distract from the fact that criminals are armed and shooting each other and innocent people with illegal guns they make it hard for the law abiding people to shoot as a hobby

you cannot license a gun for self/home defence

i could fill pages of dumb laws and other things they restrict us with here but im not going to as im after getting annoyed just writing this,hope this gives you an idea how lucky you are!!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
no problem north country gal,a few other things i just thought of are,
a policeman will sometimes visit your house to check your safe is in order

if you have a six shot 22 revolver or a semi auto 10shot you will need to get a hole plugged or the magazine pinned to make it 5 shot or else you need to apply for a restricted license

if you get a firearm licensed thats restricted you need to upgrade the security in your house to a monitored alarm costs between 300 to 1000$

a semi or pump shotgun with more that 3 shots are restricted so to avoid a restricted license you need to plug them for 3 shots

shot guns cant have pistol grips or sliding stocks

cant have a 22lr rifle with a mag capacity greater than 10 shot without a restricted license so no bx25 mags for my ruger but i can have 1000 10shot mags if i like

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Could it happen here? That's a question I've been asking myself since I read your posts, jake888. I think the lesson for us, here in the states, is that a government doesn't have to implement an outright ban on guns, it can simply strangle gun owners with a truckload of restrictions and accomplish much the same thing. Our licensing and restrictions are not as insane as yours, but we do have them - restrictions on guns we can use, a growing stack of paperwork to fill before a purchase, forms to be filled, and licenses to carry concealed.

Can it happen here? It already has. Not to the same degree, obviously, but it is happening, and I see more headed our way, our 2nd amendment, notwithstanding. Your posts should be a wakeup call to every gun owner in this country. Again, thank-you for sharing.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
no problem north country gal,a few other things i just thought of are,
a policeman will sometimes visit your house to check your safe is in order

if you have a six shot 22 revolver or a semi auto 10shot you will need to get a hole plugged or the magazine pinned to make it 5 shot or else you need to apply for a restricted license

if you get a firearm licensed thats restricted you need to upgrade the security in your house to a monitored alarm costs between 300 to 1000$

a semi or pump shotgun with more that 3 shots are restricted so to avoid a restricted license you need to plug them for 3 shots

shot guns cant have pistol grips or sliding stocks

cant have a 22lr rifle with a mag capacity greater than 10 shot without a restricted license so no bx25 mags for my ruger but i can have 1000 10shot mags if i like
It sounds worse then England there. At least they have some tradition of skeet shooting and hunting game?

It sounds like owning a gun there is worse then having none at all. Why bother with the stress?

·
Registered
210 Posts
i spotted a real nice henry lever gun today in 22 lr i have always wanted one but i have to remember i need and extra 100$ on top of the gun price to pay for it and all the hassle of jumping through hoops to license a litlle 22lr take the fun out of it

·
Registered
210 Posts
i do it because i love to shoot!:D england have some good and bad points compaired to here,they cant have 22 or centerfire handguns,but they can reload. its a pain as there is no consistancy with the laws your local police chief might not allow .223s in his area where as in the village next to you they might be allowed nearly any calibre they want

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Shhh I live in California don't give'm any ideas.
When it comes to gun laws, California should qualify as a foreign country. We surely don't have full Constitutional rights here. :(

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When it comes to gun laws, California should qualify as a foreign country. We surely don't have full Constitutional rights here. :(
California should qualify as a foreign country no matter what the issue discussed.

If they ever finish building that border fence with Mexico, they ought to just keep it right on going...

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I am not a foreigner..... I'm Australian mate..... :eek:
I have replied to previous similiar threads, they are here somewhere.
Here is a link to how things work in my State.
Needless to say, it is not as easy to own firearms here and there are many restrictions.
I have jumped through many hoops to own the ones I do.

Firearms Registry - NSW Police Online

Other links.

http://rugerforum.net/gun-gallery/39648-beretta-92fs-inox-new-grips.html

http://rugerforum.net/gun-gallery/43155-el-paso-finery.html

http://rugerforum.net/gun-gallery/50604-new-ruger-sr-1911-a.html

http://rugerforum.net/gun-gallery/52887-growing-family.html

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
California should qualify as a foreign country no matter what the issue discussed.

If they ever finish building that border fence with Mexico, they ought to just keep it right on going...
LOL yea we should of done that along time ago then maybe we wouldn't have so many weird laws now.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am not a foreigner..... I'm Australian mate..... :eek:
I have replied to previous similiar threads, they are here somewhere.
Here is a link to how things work in my State.
Needless to say, it is not as easy to own firearms here and there are many restrictions.
I have jumped through many hoops to own the ones I do.

Firearms Registry - NSW Police Online

Other links.

http://rugerforum.net/gun-gallery/39648-beretta-92fs-inox-new-grips.html

http://rugerforum.net/gun-gallery/43155-el-paso-finery.html

http://rugerforum.net/gun-gallery/50604-new-ruger-sr-1911-a.html

http://rugerforum.net/gun-gallery/52887-growing-family.html
Hi James, I was waiting for you to answer. Thanks for the links.

Sorry for the Foreigner thing, but it was easier to fit that word into my thread title then saying "For all our truly wonderful Canadian and overseas members only..." :D

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Hi James, I was waiting for you to answer. Thanks for the links.
I hope you got some answers from the Firearms Registry site.
To explain it otherwise would have had me here for hours.
Lot of restrictions over here, although, I own an SR1911 that even Cali residents can't get.
Go figure.....

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Lot of restrictions over here, although, I own an SR1911 that even Cali residents can't get.
Go figure.....
This is news to me. What is so bad about an SR1911? Is it the "cocked and locked" thing? Or is it just that California feels the need to ban any guns that are cool and desirable?

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts