Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really messed up, guys. I bought a Beretta M9 last Friday. Well, I'm being disingenuous because I really do want one, and it was made in the USA to boot (spent a few extra dollars for that over another unnamed gun with a good reputation for durability and accuracy that was made in the Czech Republic:D). I wanted to like the P89, but I just didn't that much.

Now, my next gun is going to be a Ruger 22 rifle - that's decided.

My fate is in your hands......What shall my penance be?

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Some like Blonds, some Redheads and some Brunette's. I never hold it against a man for what he likes. Give us a range report and pictures. :)

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Blondes for me please, though brunettes and redheads would be good too. [:p] Congrats on your purchase though. I have a Taurus PT92 that I absolutely love but want to add a Beretta companion piece at some point - an older 92FS model. :D

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Hair and some teeth are required....I like Berettas...especially their .45s....now when you range-compare the Beretta to a KP95DC, you may have to buy another one......

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Nothing wrong with other brands. I had a Beretta 9mm myself a few years ago. Nice guns. Just bought a Kimber myself. But, I still like my P89 and P90 too.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Always congrats on a new gun! It would be a boreing world if it wasn't for choice.
Besides, this is The Ruger Forum---not the Ruger Fanatics!

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
It's OK Gary - we've all strayed from the flock occasionally.:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for understanding...I like "Brunettas."

Sheepdog...I look forward to the day I can compare against the KP95DC.

..."hair and some teeth are required"...

Be careful not to set the bar too high, there![xx(];)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm starting to look around for a good used Beretta 92FS.

My daughter is in her third year of college and is thinking about joining the Navy after she graduates. I want her to know the '92 inside in out just in case she has to carry one in an official capacity sometime in the not so far distant future. After having spent 20+ years in the USN myself, I know better than to expect the Navy to train her right!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Gary, we all sin at times:D
Actually the Beretta is one darned nice pistol regardless of the comments of a few nay sayers on other forums that don't like the 9MM. My son has 92 and my friend has a 96(the .40 cal version). Both very good shooters and nice looking pistols.
Baker

·
Registered
947 Posts
Though I have more Rugers than any other brand, I do have Smiths, a Taurus, and a Glock on the way. Variety keeps the hobby alive.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
GaryM - met a friend at the range last night. He had his Beretta with him and let me shoot it. I've shot the Taurus version of that gun, but never a Beretta. That thing was VERY accurate. Trigger pull was pretty heavy but it sure shoots good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the acceptance and interesting feedback, everybody. Rman, it might interest you to know that I shot my M9 for the first time just before shooting at the target from the Tube Of Truth....the first trigger pull of the .22 Single Six had me wondering if I fired a dud round! I found the M9 to be accurate, although at this point in my shooting career I'm not in a position to be critiquing guns. A magazine's worth of ammo grouped consistently at 4 to 6 inches @ 7 yards, so I'm happy. I get to try my friend's P95 next week, so maybe I'll do a compare & contrast on those 2 guns afterwards.

-Gary

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sheepdog, and Everybody Else,

OK, well I DID compare my Beretta M9 to a P95! Totally a coincidence because my buddy just happened to have one when I invited him out to shoot. Now I only fired about 2 magazines through it, but think I shot as well with it as with my own gun. I liked the trigger, actually, and my friend commented on how long the trigger pull felt on my M9. This came as a surprise to me. Based on the opinions of others I have come to expect Ruger triggers to be among the poorest. This one was fine...even nice (I am no expert shooter, so take my evaluation with that in mind). I found the ergonomics to be good - I have large (not very large, but large) hands. The weight of the two guns were comparable, which I like. The ergonomics of the P95 were better when it came to working the slide, but I liked the grip of my M9 better - it had a more ergonomic shape, and the grips have a nice knurl that grabs the skin. The P95 seemed like the parts maybe didn't fit together so finely as those on my Beretta, but in terms of shooting, enjoyment and accuracy it made no difference to me. I am very impressed! I have a much higher regard for Ruger pistols now.

-Gary

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Getchaoneortwo!!!! Thanks for the fair and objective report...I've found Beretta tighter, too...almost bought their .45 2-3 years ago...the Beretta does have a bit longer grip, if I remember...never fired the M9 but used to carry one for a shoooort while in a store I worked at....is your M9 a safety model where the safety stays down till you thumb it off or does it return to the top, ready to shoot, after you use it to drop the hammer?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mine must be the safety model. It has an assisted cam so the safety flicks up easily, but after using the safety to de-cock it stays down. Probably a good thing...I don't need to be *that* ready.:D

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Gary_M - I thought it was kind of interesting when I shot my friend's Beretta and he shot my KP95D. I actually shot his better than I did mine, but didn't like the trigger. He shot my Ruger better and thought the trigger pull was excellent. They are both nice guns.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts