Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something I've seen in these parts, the Ozark Mountains, is the practice by teens of sticking hudreds of plastic forks in a person's yard, sort of like TPing in our day.

Does anyone know the origin of this? I guess it's only been in the last ten years that I've noticed it..

In the old days, the hill people would curse someone by sticking what was known as a "witches fork" on your property. A witches fork was the end of a tree limb that branched out into four separate limbs from a common point. I'm curious if this is an update of that old practice or just something knew.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
no idea guess just kids having a little fun is all.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you live here in the hills, you see the old ways dying real hard. I know people who still think you can "mark" a baby, people believe in the "evil eye", all sorts of things.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
...and that's a GOOD thing...modern city folks may not be superstitious, but their character sure could stand to be turned back 100 years...when men's word was worth something, women were ladies, etc...I love country folks...

·
Registered
304 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

...and that's a GOOD thing...modern city folks may not be superstitious, but their character sure could stand to be turned back 100 years...when men's word was worth something, women were ladies, etc...I love country folks...
You should come out here to the Appalachian Mountains for a spell. :D

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Living here is like reading Shakespeare. I can remember a woman being happy because her baby was born with a "caul", which would prevent him from ever dying of drowning.

There are places that are considered haunted, especially in Ripley and Carter Counties where the War took so many lives. The Union Army and rebel marauders were especially brutal in those counties.

Honestly, I've never seen so many superstitious people.

But, it's home and they are my kin and friends...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts