Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped in to a gunshop in Lakewood, CO, I'd not been in in forever this morning. Surprised to see that they had a decent amount of ammo with no minimums. Pistol ammo in .380, .38spl, .357 mag, 9mm, 40s&w, 45acp was plentiful.

However, I then looked at the prices and knew why. They were selling JHP .9mm, .357mag, 40s&w, and 45acp for $49.99 per box of 50!! That's $1 per rd!! They also had some fmj for $29.99 per box or $0.60 per rd.

A 20rd box of Red Army Standard 7.62x39 was selling for $9.99 or $0.50 per rd and they had ziplock bags of .223, .308, 7.62x54, and 30-06 at $0.60 to $0.70 per rd. I don't know if it was commercially loaded or not as there were no makings except the price.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you break out in hysterical laughter before you walked out the door?? 😊
I didn't laugh (out loud anyway) but I did say in a full voice, "I'm sure glad that I handload and have plenty of components on hand." :D

The guy at the cash register gave me a dirty look. :p :whistle:

·
Registered
538 Posts
In 2009 I bought my first .45acp semi, needing carry ammo I paid $49.95 for a box(50) of Remington Express 185gr JHP.

Everything old is new again.:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
google ammo seek it is really the best way to find ammo at the best price

Reactions: petergunn

·
Cat Herder
1,633 Posts
During the last crisis when rimfire had all but disappeared I stopped into a local gun shop in Evansville (Rajos) and saw that they had a lot in stock. Pricing was around $25 for a box of 50 22 mags if I remember correctly and probably $15 or so for 100 mini mags. They shutdown a couple years ago, good riddance.

Before I had much of an ammo stockpile I would never shoot my last box of carry ammo, only what I could find. If prices were absurd I'd just not shoot for a little while.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I remember those who price gouge. I never do business with them again.
I remember at the Tanner Gunshow here in the Denver area about a year after the panic for YOmama getting elected back in 2008. A ammo seller had jacked up his prices real high during the panic and when they went back down no one would even go over to his table.

Desperate, he dropped his prices below the other vendors but the word had gotten out that he took advantage of people during the shortages and still no one would deal with him. He went belly up and good riddance to him. "Gouge me once shame on you, gouge me twice shame on me."

·
Registered
327 Posts
Anything for a buck. Some call it supply and demand and I guess that's so. But in the end its just plain old greed. I'm with the others here. I don't forget who the gouger's are and will not buy from them.

Reactions: jeepnut711

·
Registered
305 Posts
Somebody point me to a supplier that is not increasing prices. My friend at KYGUNCO says everytime they order ammo, the manufacturers (Federal, in particular) are increasing prices.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I don't shoot a lot, mainly my hunting rifles before deer season, & my 10 22 at crows around my squirrel feeder, & my pistols a bit. I live in the country, but neighbors are close enough I try to be considerate of them. I buy my ammo when the price is good, & don't burn it up as fast as I get it. It's disgusting what is goin on with the prices from some gun shops, & online vendors. I can understand, & sipport supply & demand, & capatialism, but downright gouging the hell out of people is just wrong, & everyone should remember these guys when supplies get better.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have different views on 'price gouging.' Not going into details now but most will disagree and not taking on everybody here against me.

22LR for 1¢ a round. 9mm for $5 a box. Is that price gouging? You really need some ammo for whatever reason. It is a matter of life or death but it's out of stock at those prices. How does that help you in any way whatsoever.

You go somewhere but the ammo cost a lot more. You would never normally buy it at that price BUT they have it in stock and since you needed it real bad you could get some. It saved your life.

If you have something to sell you can ask whatever you want for it. Until you find someone willing to pay that price you won't sell it. Who are you to try and tell someone what they should be selling their property for because that's what you think.

The only thing you control is your money and where it goes. If the price is too high and you don't need it bad enough don't buy. If you see someone that wanted too much at one time but now they dropped their prices it's up to you what you do with your money. If I see that I buy. I look at it as rewarding behavior like training a dog. When they do something you agree with -- reward

Price too high = don't buy
Price right = buy

See how simple that is. Prices change all the time based on availability or customer reaction. If you want to get mad at somebody that's not charging what you think they should be that's okay. Freedom comes in many forms and sometimes it appears to work against us but don't try to limit anyone's freedom because you don't like what they're doing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stopped in to a gunshop in Lakewood, CO, I'd not been in in forever this morning. Surprised to see that they had a decent amount of ammo with no minimums. Pistol ammo in .380, .38spl, .357 mag, 9mm, 40s&w, 45acp was plentiful.

However, I then looked at the prices and knew why. They were selling JHP .9mm, .357mag, 40s&w, and 45acp for $49.99 per box of 50!! That's $1 per rd!! They also had some fmj for $29.99 per box or $0.60 per rd.

A 20rd box of Red Army Standard 7.62x39 was selling for $9.99 or $0.50 per rd and they had ziplock bags of .223, .308, 7.62x54, and 30-06 at $0.60 to $0.70 per rd. I don't know if it was commercially loaded or not as there were no makings except the price.
Gougers! Just wait 'til December. As long as we do our part and keep our pro-2A leaders in office, things will get back to normal.

·
Registered
538 Posts
google ammo seek it is really the best way to find ammo at the best price
A few weeks ago I used AmmoSeek to score 5 boxes of .40S&W 180gr fmj blazer aluminum for $13.99 a box, my only regret was that I didn’t have enough cash to buy 10 boxes :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 41 Posts