Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, It's been three year since I've last posted on this forum. Lately I've been redoing my gun collection. I've adapted a liking to the slightly older style aluminum grip framed 9mm with single double action with safety decoker like the Beretta 92fs which I had for years. I recently purchased a Smith and Wesson 6906 and learned about the Ruger P series which was also the same way with the old Walther P38 style safety and decocker. So I found this gun on gun broker, a Le trade in holster worn P 89 for $215 before shipping. My mastercard couldn't leave my wallet fast enough :D so I'm waiting on it to ship to my local gun store. Should have it by Friday.

That's all I have to go by for now and I do have a photo of the reverse side but it gives away the serial numbers. :p

·
Registered
187 Posts
There's a lot of P series love around here. Looks like a good candidate for a Cerakote facelift, but I do like the vintage look. Plus, if you ever run out of ammo for it, you could just throw it at the perp and knock them out cold :D

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Neat find. I like the wear and tear... makes it have that cool distressed look. Enjoy it!
I would say it has an "experienced" look. It is built like a tank, so nothing distresses a P89. :D

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I looked at those, great find:)

If I didn't already have one I would have went for one of those trade ins.

They are probably "carried lots fired little" gun, that thing will last you a lifetime.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ExArmy11b I think that seller still has a few left, he got several of them in that trade in. I believe he got half a dozen. This will probably be a range gun or home defense, not conceal carry as the P89 was designed to be a full sized service pistol from what I read. That's fine though, the Smith 6906 is a good medium sized 9mm that can be concealed without much worry. All I know is I'm going to have a good range time testing out the Smith and Ruger.

·
Registered
783 Posts
BOOK ENDS

P85 & 89
The 85 (on top) is the one I had Ruger update & refinish the slide, as I refered to in the above post.

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
Found my P 89 back in Feb. this year. Walked into my LGS and there it was.
No case and only one mag but I bought it on the spot.
Great 2003 model that is kept within easy reach at home.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Perfect truck gun right there......If EDC is not your thing for something that big. I'm like you in the sense that I have a special place in my heart for older aluminum or alloy framed 9s. M9, P89, S&W 39-2s.....etc

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I agree 2nd Gen I think Aluminum alloy grip frame is a better comprised weight reduction material than polymer. It's not chinzy, you retain the option of having removable grips, they are heavier than polymer but it's a good heavy to me that nulls excess recoil, and they feel a lot sturdier and stronger. I do think you should expand your interest into the 3rd gen Smiths the 5900 and 6900 series though as they are newer and you can still get parts from them from Smith and Wesson. I'm also looking at a CZ 75 compact someday.

Well this wasn't the real reason for me to post though. I got a small up date. There's been a communication issue between my local FFL and the dealer I bought it from. My FFL says they sent a fax but the dealer I bought it from says they never got it :( blah blah blah. My FFL says they will fax them again and I asked them nicely to please call them as I don't know if they have a fax or not. We'll see what happens. I really like my local FFL as it's within walking distance and they have a really awesome indoor range.

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
Nice find. Don't worry about that cosmetic stuff unless you really want a facelift. That gun will run forever.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh yeah aside from usual, springs and possibly extractors, I expect this to be an excellent range gun/ home defense/ training gun for center fire for new shooters. I do have an update! The seller gave me a USPS tracking number so they must of 'finally' received the FFL information. My dealer should get it Saturday but I don't think I'll pick it up until Monday even though they are open over the weekend. I'm booked this weekend but no biggie :D

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I picked it up today and installed a pair of hogue grips my local ffl happened to have on a shelf for a Ruper P series. Man that was hard to get on those grips! Not hogues fault though! One of the flat heads just REFUSED to loose up lol. I tried wd40, a very low flame on a mapi gas torch to slowly heat it, and tapping it. I finally just put the grip frame into the horn of my anvil and 'lightly' and I mean lightly tapped it with a ball peen. Then it finally came off! The original plastic grips got a bit melted, really hard to notice, on the side I applied heat to but other than that grip frame is solid, no issues, magazine feeds fine in and out etc. Really it sounds much worse than it was. I know how to control hammer strikes, I do metal working as a hobby.

So without further ado...

and a super clean bore! :D

Link to full photo album.
P89 - Album on Imgur

Whoever in this thread wrote it was holster worn, rarely fired seems to be right. That bore looks good!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Good to hear that all finally worked out. They are indeed tough as nails guns.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Warbird, i did take it out and fire it. Both magazines fed fine. There was one failure to fire but i was using some reloaded ammo along with my factory ammo, who knows. I ended up selling the gun yesterday. It was a good gun for the money but I wanted something more compact. I ended up using the money to buy a CZ 75 Compact instead. I don't regret getting the P89, it was a good pistol. They are tough just too blocky. I was looking at a P94 but it's way over built. I understand why, Ruger had made most of the parts from investment casting rather than forging which requires the parts to be a bit bulkier. They were good for what they are but I'm happier with my CZ. I would recommend a P series to anyone who wants a good alloy frame double single on a budge though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts