Ruger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Congrats on your newest purchase David. :)

No fun though with the cosmoline I know -- been there, done that. lol Has been awhile though thankfully.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Go to Home Dippy and buy a strong concentration of orange solvent cleaner...or use lacquer thinner...but watch out for stock or re-blue to be attacked if you use the thinner....what caliber is the Yugo? How old is it? New one on me...

P.S. Trying to find out more on cosmoline, I went to Boxotruth.com-educational zone #23 and he goes into detail on cosmoline removal...I learned a lot...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

Go to Home Dippy and buy a strong concentration of orange solvent cleaner...or use lacquer thinner...but watch out for stock or re-blue to be attacked if you use the thinner....what caliber is the Yugo? How old is it? New one on me...

P.S. Trying to find out more on cosmoline, I went to Boxotruth.com-educational zone #23 and he goes into detail on cosmoline removal...I learned a lot...
http://www.surplusrifle.com/yugom48/index.asp

Mine is a 1943 M48A, but in actuality it was updated sometime during the 50's or 60's so now it's an M48B. It's nearly identical to the German K98. It's what is known in America as an 8mm Mauser.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Take it to the car wash-----works real good. The just re-lube afterwards.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Easy-Off Oven Cleaner can be your friend.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ya...I remember the cosmoline deal. I used a steam cleaner on all the metal parts...placed them in a plastic pipe, filled it up with paint thinner overnight and steam cleaned it again. I boiled the smaller parts in a pot on the stove. Like nitesite stated: I used easy-off on the wood stock and re-finished it with mucho sand papering, tung oil and walnut stain. I then put...what was it called?...mil-tec peep sites, had some trigger work done...etc. After it was all said and done, I never even fired it. It stands behind a door somewhere in my house...waiting for somebody to take it out plinking. So many weapons...so little time.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I remember fondly, cleaning up military 303's to Sporterize them... Baking the stocks in the oven to get that ooozing Cosmoline out of them, so they could be shaved down front and back into modern Gun Stocks, and Finish applyed...<:))

Cosmoline
Its most common use is in the storage and preservation of firearms. Previously, cosmoline was used to preserve other items. Objects the size of entire vehicles could be preserved for future use with cosmoline.

During World War II, US gun crews serving the huge coastal artillery batteries were known as "Cosmoliners" because they were tasked with the near constant application of cosmoline to the guns

Cosmoline removal from firearms
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/cosmoline/pdf/cosmoline.pdf

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Did they spray it on hot or paint it on??? I assume they dunked the rifles,handguns....and is it a wax/oil mix? It reminds me of bs we'd find in the oilfields in Pa...thick and waxy sludge.....

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Does an excellent job of long term preservation but is a bear to get out of all the nooks and crannies. David, the way that one looks, you shouldn't find a speck of rust on it anywhere!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts