Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found some rust on my mosin's barrel

Installing a trigger spring and washer I found some stuborn rust that 1000 or 400 gt sandpaper alone wont remove. My next step was gonna be to dremmel it smooth, and spray paint w/ epoxy. I also have means of bead blasting with AO. Dont knowif I can stop it but I would like to slow it down. If anyone has a better idea please sound off.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
It's hard to get all the rust out of pits like that, and if you don't remove the rust, it acts as a center for more rust. When surface treatments like sanding don't work, I use phosphoric acid (the active ingredient in "Naval Jelly"). A little dab on the rusted area, let it sit for a few minutes and then rinse thoroughly with hot water. Scrub with a steel brush and I f there's still some rust in the pits, repeat the process.

Note: phosphoric acid will also remove gun blue, so don't let it get on sound finish.

Jim

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Naval jelly will definitely get it out. I would hit the spot with a wire wheel or sand blast it, then apply the jelly, and then coat it. Like laidlerj mentioned, be careful what you apply it to. It'll strip the bluing right off.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Loctite makes some and you can find it at Lowes. Small size should be about $7.00

·
Registered
78 Posts
I used to know of a product called nova-rust. I knew of people who used it on cars to stop rust. I do not know what became of it. BlackStar rust converter seems to be about the same thing. Good luck. Love those old Mosins.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts