Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

Corps Commander NGV
Discussion Starter #1
I took a really nice fox squirrel Saturday with a single .22lr 38gr hollow point. I have wanted to have one mounted by the taxidermist for years. My hunting property has a large population of both gray and fox squirrels. Most of the foxes have black heads. Full disclosure requires I admit that I was target shooting when the squirrel came out. I was already toppling coke bottles at 100yds with my Charger and it's 6x scope. The giant Fox ran out 20yds in front of my 100yd targets and stood up like a prairie dog to look at me. Having the Charger on a bipod and rear bag made the shot possible. The mount will look great at the hunting camp!

Attachments

Premium Member
Support Veterans
Good size trophy(really), it must have been eating it's Wheaties! Good shot and a nice Charger setup. Spring can't come soon enough.

Premium Member
Nice shooting. More inspiration for me to scope one of my Chargers. Not sure I could have made that shot with a red dot. I鈥檓 not shy about trying though. :)

Corps Commander NGV
Discussion Starter #10
Nice shooting. More inspiration for me to scope one of my Chargers. Not sure I could have made that shot with a red dot. I鈥檓 not shy about trying though. :)
I'm not sure I would have tried at all with any less scope than I had.

Registered
A wall hanger for sure! Very nice.

Registered
Never seen squirrels like that in this state never seen a Fox Squirrel that had a black head either, interesting.Nice shot btw
There are a couple of white squirrels in Hollywood Ga they are the size of grey squirrels

On a off topic ..do you see skunks where you hunt deer? Plenty around here and your neck of the woods.
but my cousin grew up in Macon and now lives to the north in Juliette says it鈥檚 a rarity to see one and since he mentioned that years ago I have been looking when I travel in that area and it is rare to see sign.
Seems odd since they range all over North America

Registered
That is quite a Squirrel! .... neat mount. Never knew about the black heads, never hunted east of the big river myself. Nice hunting property, rigs and shooting too.

Premium Member
Which scope is that on the Charger?

Registered
Damn good shot! My longest shot on a squirrel was about 70 yards with a rifle. No bench or rest though, just leaning against a tree to steady the gun. Most 22s can't reliably make a 40 yard shot, much less an 80 yard shot.

Where I often hunt in the Mississippi Delta, fox squirrels have a melanistic phase, and you can have a litter with both red and black squirrels. The red ones don't have the white markings fox squirrels elsewhere have, and the black ones are solid black from nose to tail. A number of years ago the black ones weren't seen very often, but now it seems most of them are black.

Corps Commander NGV
Discussion Starter #16
Never seen squirrels like that in this state never seen a Fox Squirrel that had a black head either, interesting.Nice shot btw
There are a couple of white squirrels in Hollywood Ga they are the size of grey squirrels

On a off topic ..do you see skunks where you hunt deer? Plenty around here and your neck of the woods.
but my cousin grew up in Macon and now lives to the north in Juliette says it鈥檚 a rarity to see one and since he mentioned that years ago I have been looking when I travel in that area and it is rare to see sign.
Seems odd since they range all over North America
All the Fox squirrels on my land have the black heads. Some all black, others appear to have raccoon masks. Body color varies from blonde to chocolate brown, but most are like mine. We do have skunks, but I only see them occasionally.

Corps Commander NGV
Discussion Starter #18
Damn good shot! My longest shot on a squirrel was about 70 yards with a rifle. No bench or rest though, just leaning against a tree to steady the gun. Most 22s can't reliably make a 40 yard shot, much less an 80 yard shot.

Where I often hunt in the Mississippi Delta, fox squirrels have a melanistic phase, and you can have a litter with both red and black squirrels. The red ones don't have the white markings fox squirrels elsewhere have, and the black ones are solid black from nose to tail. A number of years ago the black ones weren't seen very often, but now it seems most of them are black.
A squirrel at 70yds without a bipod or steady rest is outstanding! I have a 10/22 that is capable of half inch groups at 50yds from a bench. I can't shoot anywhere near that from any improvised field position.

Registered
A squirrel at 70yds without a bipod or steady rest is outstanding! I have a 10/22 that is capable of half inch groups at 50yds from a bench. I can't shoot anywhere near that from any improvised field position.
I used to always practice shooting in a hunting type position at the range. I was a lot better shot back then :) I probably need to start doing that again.

Corps Commander NGV
Discussion Starter #20
I used to always practice shooting in a hunting type position at the range. I was a lot better shot back then :) I probably need to start doing that again.
It's great practice. I have some rifles I never shoot from a bench. Offhand practice with a 10/22 or one of my milsurp rifles is great fun. Plus the combination of .30-06, .303, 7.62x54R, or 7.92x57 and a steel butt plate is kind of brutal at the bench.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts