Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wasn't sure where to post this. I wanted it to be site wide instead of just in pistols or rifles, so trying here. Please move it if it's not in a good spot.

I'm trying to buy a new Ruger SR22, and like everyone else, having trouble finding one. But a week ago, I found a site called Frankie's Rugers -- or frankierugers.com -- that claims to have the very model I want in stock. It's been listed as "in stock" for over a week (along with several other models). That was my first red flag.

The site appears to be well done -- it's in English with correct spelling; looks professional, etc. But there's no phone number, only a "contact us" form through which I did get an immediate response a few days ago about shipping.

But when I do a web search on that site, I find that it's in question about being a scam site. I found three pages by groups that investigate scam sites, but none of them draw any conclusions. They all say, make up your own mind.

One of the FFL's in my town has not heard of them. (I'll check with the other next.)

I have also done a site wide search on this forum, and find nothing.

Anybody know anything about them? Any experience with them?

Added by edit 6 hours later: Answer by unanimous decision: NO the site is NOT legit. It's a SCAM. That was already my hypothesis -- not a theory, but a hypothesis -- when I started this thread. With as many strong opinions based in logic as are being stated, I think we've reached consensus on that, even though we don't have solid evidence of the hypothesis that would stand up in court of law -- which would then make it more of a theory.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look at their FAQs page. Auto fill language still displayed. Also, no shipping address/location.

smells fishy….
I had skipped over FAQ's. Wow. That's sick.

Reactions: gwpercle

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,128 Posts
K-22, Right now with gun sales at their highest ever, there are many scam artists that thrive on people like you. If you can't afford to loose the price of a gun, go with a local reputable dealer, not some Internet unknown. If your LGS can't get a SR22 for you, wait until they can.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Online vendors i had good success are Bud's,Kentucky gun Co. There was another too. But they are no longer around.

·
Registered
136 Posts
K22, what Iowegan said.

I was in my local shop yesterday picking up my new to me Security Six and noticed they had a couple SR22’s in the case. I’m pretty sure I also saw them at PSA down the street.

I live in South Carolina and I’m sure availability is regionally different.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, availability seems not only regionally different right now, but dependent somewhat on size of the store. My main local dealer in a tiny town is not a high volume dealer at all, and they're having trouble getting anything at all. Larger stores are getting preference.

I checked both Gunbroker and Buds, and found some SR22's available there, but for WAY more $ than Frankie's prices, which are listed as well below Ruger's MSRP. I noticed that early on, but thought -- hopefully -- that it might be a deal.

For the record, I've never purchased a gun "online" in my entire life. This would have been a first. I always, always have bought at my local stores, in part due to reliable service, in part to support local. But when one lives on the edge of a small town in the outback of the US where the local stores can't get anything for so long, it's worth a look. Fortunately, I'm a smart shopper, and look into things before I pull the trigger.

Ah, such dreams. OK, back to the waiting game. Maybe someday, they'll be more available again. And maybe even in my lifetime.

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
as a wise man said "Run Forest Run" ... looks like a scam to me based on their FAQ's ...

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Frankie's Rugers...the name alone screams scam.

Who has ever heard of a gun store that only sells one brand? Maybe super custom shops like Holland & Holland but that red flag is enough to steer clear of Frankie's.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
And they offer US Dollars or Euros. 🚩Also additional language choice for French and German🚩...and when you click the euro options, nothing happens. 🚩

I've read enough on this forum for our friends across the pond and they can't even buy simple accessories like grips from the US. I highly doubt a US FFL could sell a gun in Europe. 🚩

Sounds like you already contacted them so if they send you an email with any attachments or links, delete it ASAP.

·
Super Moderator
4,356 Posts
Also, as you said, selling well below MSRP. Granted, you should be able to find it below MSRP, but a deal too good is designed to get you to buy wanting the “deal” and gloss over red flags out of the desire for said deal. And as you said, what about the question of availability. As your own words state, big retailers are getting preference. So why would a site that no one has ever heard of have a gun that only big retailers have be selling them at a price too good to pass up? Not my money, but I would pass. Bud’s is actually a decent benchmark. They are a high volume discount retailer which is something to think about when they are beat by a no name website.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Just got back from camp. Dinner heating as I catch up reading this thread, what's been posted since I left for camp. As a result of reading, I added the following paragraph to the end of my OP:
___

Added by edit 6 hours later: Answer by unanimous decision: NO the site is NOT legit. It's a SCAM. That was already my hypothesis -- not a theory, but a hypothesis -- when I started this thread. With as many strong opinions based in logic as are being stated, I think we've reached consensus on that, even though we don't have solid evidence of the hypothesis that would stand up in court of law -- which would then make it more of a theory.
___

I mean consensus is rare on the internet, right? No dissenting votes, yet, and my prediction is, there won't be.

OK, dinner is next. Fish tacos, which smell better than that site.

·
Super Moderator
4,356 Posts
I had to laugh when Iowegan called you K-22. While I know what Katahdin is (and have seen it from a distance while driving down 95), based on your writings of your lifestyle, a K-22 was designed with you in mind. Yea, yea, funny thing to say on a Ruger forum about an S&W, but it’s true and I own many brands. Just struck me as ironic.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
@brnwlms , I really appreciate your post. Spot on. ;)

For the history of my new forum (at least) nickname -- K22 -- seek out my/our thread about the SR22 (I see it's "trending"; wow, that must mean I'll be driving a Porsche soon.) Another member -- @mark40 -- used it in that thread, and I approved. It's just fewer keystrokes for a word that few can pronounce well, let alone spell (it's that "h" that seems out of place). Of course, you've seen it, and I've camped and walked within 15 mi of it (see pic below), and we know something about the place, its history, etc. But for most, K22 is easier, and good enough for forum use.

When I also learned that it's a SW model (.45?), it cracked me up. AND K22 is also the model of some toy robot dog that does tricks. All too much.

So Iowegan has joined in on the fun.

Here's Katahdin, the mountain ... well, the bottom of it; top ridge is in clouds of Hurricane Juan in November, 2017. I took this photo on a hike on my last day -- when the rain finally ended (I got 5" in 4 days, in a hammock with a tarp and no car to get out) -- of a week long hammock camp just a mile from this spot. I'm standing on the AT. You're looking across Lake Namahkanta (there's that "h" again) into Debsconeag Lakes Wilderness. Katahdin is in Baxter State Park (not really state; it's a non-profit) just north of there.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ah, so it IS a .22. Interesting, and cool. You'll see I edited my post above, in part (first) because I wrote that the K22 was a .22. But then, truth checking, I learned on Wikipedia that one of the originals was a .45 ACP. Then I found the SW Model 17 in .22, and got confused. o_O

OK, it's late -- that's probably obvious -- I'm digesting fish tacos AND bacon and eggs (with beer) and about to watch some more of Alone, season 7 (Slave Lake for 100 days; I'm up to episode 5 now. A musk ox was taken by bow.)

So I'll read your link to the history of the K22 tmw. It's homework. (y)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts