Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep his name is Fred and I named him Fred, he is a young Red Tailed Hawk. Now when he first came around a few months ago by the unit I work at he wasn't too good of a hunter. But I had confendance in him, even thourg he over shot a Pigon and hit the dirt. It did scare the crap out of me I thought he had killed himself, but all was good. I bet he was sore for a while. But true to his nature he never gave up, well today he had bagged him a Pigon. Boy was he proud sit there and ate the whole thing a little at a time he would eat some then puff himself up. I think he knew he was showing off for me. Well I like to think he was, yep fred is going to be ok now I can stop worrying about him.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Even a hawk can miss occasionally:)...we have several around here...a small pond's wildlife and too many stray cats draw them (eat more cats!!!)...I love to see them playing in the wind...saw a big one today.....make flying look easy.....

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
They are sure fun to watch em' work

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Love that story Snuffy. We have some HUGE redtails around here. I saw one once while I was driving, right in front of me get what looked like a dove in flight. Explosion of feathers! Nature is awesome.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep wish I would have seen Fred make his kill, he was proud I was proud too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
We had a close encounter with a hawk today. It was a beautiful day and my better half took our pet parrot, Marina, cage and all out in the back yard to enjoy the weather. Not long and we spotted the hawk eyeballing Marina. We brought the parrot in and the hawk went to the ground where she had seen Marina. The hawk walked and jumped around looking for Marina for about five minutes. We were just inside looking out the window at about ten foot distance. It was cool watching the hawk.

·
Registered
842 Posts
We live in an area that's really built up in the last 15 yrs or so but still quite a bit of smaller wildlife. My wife is fascinated by and watches for the hawks all of the time. She calls them "her" hawks. Occasionally a red tail but mostly the smaller Coopers hawk. Some of the female Coopers hawks can get almost as big as the red tails. They eat mostly birds but take their share of squirrels too. Funny thing is, most of our neighbors don't even know there's so many around here. They are beautiful birds. Old Fred would fit right in here.:)

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am with your wife on the Hawks they sorta belong to me. I love watching them, Nothing wrong with squirrels unless your married to one lol. that was bad dang me lol.

·
Registered
842 Posts
"Nothing wrong with squirrels unless your married to one"

Snuffy, I think I got the only one in the whole family that wasn't but there's been times in the last 41 yrs when I've wondered about her.:D
Baker

1 - 12 of 12 Posts