Ruger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a accident with my m77 mark two in 30/06 , my wife drove her car over the barrel and bent it , yes shes still alive, well had the barrel replaced , question i have are the barrels free floated, cant remember , brain fog issue,

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks glad to hear ,thought it was put back together wrong

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
@polaris754, the barrel in my all-weather was not free floated. I would say it has light contact with the stock.
Scott I talked to Ruger about that some years ago. The Zytel stocked M77’s were designed to have fore end pressure up front, with mine it’s about the first inch or so. My V/T’s are a different story, no barrel contact at all.

Reactions: Corndog

·
Registered
36 Posts
Every Ruger 77 I’ve owned had a “pressure pad” in the stocks barrel channel. I never owned a varmint model so can’t comment on those.

If there were accuracy issues and you wanted to see if a floated barrel fixed them without modifications to the stock was to place shims under the action to relieve the stock pressure from the barrel. Old plastic credit cards cut into appropriate sized strips seemed to be the common way to do it.

I have never had a problem where the pressure pad seemed to be the issue. More improvements can be made imo by bedding the action.

·
Registered
426 Posts
My M-77 in 30-06 purchased in 1973, did not have a free-floated barrel, it has a pressure point at the tip of the handguard. I never did anything to the pressure point or bedding as this has been a 1 MOA or less rifle from the git go.
My M77 Hawkeye in .257 Roberts purchased in 2019 had the pressure point as well. I free-floated the barrel in an effort to enhance the rifle's accuracy (FYI - It worked!)

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Registered
98 Posts
My 77 was from the 80's, it has a wood stock and had a pressure point as describe above. It was plenty accurate in its factory configuration.

However, my zero was shifting very year, so I removed the pressure pad - and that solved the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts