Ruger Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,344 Posts
wingspar, Thanks for the picture …. that's what all Single-Sixes, full frame Blackhawks, and Super Blackhawks look like. Ruger frames like this do not have an indexing plunger but will respond to the modified pawl as shown in previous posts.

·
Registered
196 Posts
There is a fix and it is quite simple. The right tip of the pawl can be ground off so when the loading gate is open, the pawl will not touch the ratchets. This allows the cylinder to rotate in either direction without being restricted. Once the loading gate is closed, the pawl works just like a factory part. You can buy a new pawl and save your factory pawl in case you want to restore the gun to factory condition. Single-Six pawls are shorter than BH, SBH or Vaqueros. Here's a photo that shows exactly how to shape the pawl for free spin:

Here's a link to Brownell's that lists the Single-Six pawl …. about 8 bucks. Part number 34 in this schematic: https://www.brownells.com/schematics/ruger-/new-model-single-six-sid6.aspx#r34sid6
Iowegan,

I ground the tip off the inside edge (top step) the pawl in my Single Ten, now the cylinder spins like a top with the loading gate open...but now the timing is "off". It doesn't rotate quite far enough to "index". The pawl in my Single Ten is a little different than the Single Six pawl, the lower step has a cut-out. Will a Single Six pawl work in a Single Ten, if I get the timing right?

The picture attached isn't mine; I found it in another thread.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,344 Posts
Cowpokey, I never had an opportunity to compare a Single-Six pawl with a Single-Ten pawl so I can't help you. I would think a Single-Six pawl's lower step would be a little longer because it has to rotate the cylinder farther ????

·
Registered
196 Posts
Cowpokey, I never had an opportunity to compare a Single-Six pawl with a Single-Ten pawl so I can't help you. I would think a Single-Six pawl's lower step would be a little longer because it has to rotate the cylinder farther ????
I guess I'll just have to get one and adjust the steps with a file. I didn't take anything off the lower step of the pawl, but somehow it doesn't index correctly now. Can't be off by much, but it's defiantly not right.

It had issues when it was brand new, there were two chambers that if I closed the loading gate with them in in the loading gate window, it would lock up the action completely when the gate was closed. The good news is that issue has been eliminated...the bad news is that it doesn't index... Think I'll buy two or three Single Six pawls, with some trial and error I'll get it right.

·
Registered
48 Posts
...only mid-frame Blackhawks and Vaqueros are equipped with the indexing plunger. That leaves Single-Sixes, Conventional Blackhawks, Super Blackhawks, and large frame Vaqueros with the "gone too far click"...
Interesting. I hadn't seen this before, and looking at my Ruger revolvers, none of them have the plunger. But then I'm looking at the large frame guns an a Single Six.

I do have one mid-frame gun, but it does not have this feature either. I wonder when Ruger started adding this. My mid-frame gun is a 1965-vintage 3-screw .357.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Semi-related to the free spin idea-

Today I fired about 100 rds through my Single Six and only "went too far" with the cylinder one time. Not too bad for my limited experience with the gun, so I may not do the free-spin mod.

But the small chambers of the Single Six, compared to the NV, make it much harder to properly line up the ejector rod to enter the mouth of the chamber correctly. And the rod is rather rough, so I worry about abrading or roughening the chamber mouths when the rod hits the mouth. Has anyone actually had damage from this?

I was at an indoor range today with the typical crummy lighting, outdoors in sunlight is pretty easy.

My guess is that the only solution is to be more careful (and shoot outdoors). An indexing pin like on the New Vaquero could solve the problem completely, but that would be a major project.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts