Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to change the front sight in my Speed Six.I want to get one with a glow in the dark dot in it?

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I have the stainless version and it's just a matter of drifting out the roll pin with the appropriate sized brass punch, tapping out the old sight and pressing in the new, and reinserting the pin. I believe the blued models are the same but never had one.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Been a while since I've done it but IIRC it's left to right looking down the sight. There should be one side of the pin hole slightly bigger, and the pin flattened. If the roll pin is rounded, it may punch out from either side. Just make sure you use a properly sized drift punch. Light taps you should see it move.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Brings back horrid memories of trying to remove one with a finish nail. That was on my first Speed Six 25 years ago.

I thought I had a close up photo, must have deleted it - but on the NIS (2nd from left) the factory equipped them with ramp inserts. I think the choices were orange or yellow. Very easy to pick up quickly. Never understood why Ruger didn't put them on all Speed Sixes.

The 9mm on the far right had been drilled and a gold pin inserted. I guess somebody was desperate for a better sight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts