Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The white dot on my front site on my KP95PR15 is fading and it is hard to see the site with a dark target. I'm looking to see what others have done to renew their dot. Is it as easy as just getting a certain white paint and repainting the dot or have you found something that works better? Thanks

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
You may not be interested in a bigger dot-but XS sights out of Fort Worth has what they call an Express system-big V in back-big dot in front-very fast sight/target lineup-front can be night or day dot-if you want target sights-I don't know-my P97s both went away pretty quick and I didn't try to re-paint them-I carry wet a lot.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
I have some sight paint I got from Cabellas (I think) that glows in the dark that I use. You might even just try white-out! Don't know if that would be very durable, but it would be a short term fix. Or white finger nail polish if you can find some.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,345 Posts
Go to a hobby shop or a store where they sell Testors model paint. You can use a small drill bit to remove the old paint. Use a toothpick and apply a small drop of "flat white" to your dot. Put the muzzle down while applying and give it a few minutes to dry.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I fixed the dot on the front site. I remembered I had, tucked away in my toolbox, a white pigment pen that I use to mark metal. I used a toothpick and filled in the dot with it. It looks great now and the problem is solved. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Yes, I second the testors model paint - U can buy it at Wal-Mart for a little over a dollar. I am a fanatic for things to look right. So, have some nail polish remover too. U may have to try it a few times

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use the same method as Iowegan, however, I use a spare can of enamal spray paint that sits on a shelf in my basement. It works but has to be redone.

I'm just getting a set of XO Big Dots put on my P97...really love those Big Dots!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I was having the same problem with the white dots getting dirty looking & harder to see. This was on my XD45 Tactical. I shoot it in Bullseye competition in Wichita. Plus it sees it's share of range & plinking time. I bought a bottle of fluorsent green model car paint & a bottle of fluorsent orange. First I painted the front dot orange & the rear one's green. I tried it out Monday night & I liked the sights much better but I couldnt seem to pick up the orange front sight as well as the green rear sight dots. So I painted the front one green & left the rear ones green. For me, this is a lot better. Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier. I can see a green golf ball much better than a white one so I guess it makes sense that gun sights would work the same way. I just got done doing the dots on my P89 & PT1911. I'll get around to the other pistols before I take them out. It's just that these get the most use.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Excellent idea-I've been meaning to paint the ramps on my three revolvers-Green will probably work best...thanks. White didn't work with these old eyes-red's too dark.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've been toying with the idea of getting the Ruger V03251 Tritium P345 Front Sight
Catalog No. 90263 only. Anybody have an opinion on this????

·
Registered
401 Posts
I put a set of red hi-viz sights on my kp89, they work great for day time shooting, but disappear in low light. My smithy showed me the xs big-dot night sights, they show the best for day/night use. All it takes is 'bout $120.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts