Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll:

Received a 181 series Mini 14 and just picked up a Choate conventional stock and handguard. The stock has no screw holes for the action brace and the gun didn't come with a barrel liner. The carbines action fits into the stock nice and tight, but the cut-out for the trigger assembly seems too narrow.

Any one else have experience with this stock?

peace be with you all,
Jeff

·
Exalted One
1,738 Posts
Jeff, some stock manufacturers make stocks without provision for stock reinforcements because they're not considered necessary. Not sure if Choate is one of them. ATI stocks, for example don't include or need them, and Grotrian custom walnut stocks are the same way. The photo on the Choate website shows the holes for the stock reinforcement screws, but they may have changed production to beef up the stock and are just using old photos. You may want to give the Choate CS folks a call if someone doesn't pipe up here.

I don't have personal experience with the recent Choate stocks. I do have one of their ventilated hand guards. The metal clip on them often needs a bit of squeezing with pliers to make for a tighter grip to the barrel of the older Minis.

I don't know about the barrel liner, either. Perhaps someone with experience with your particular stock can advise, or you can call Choate and ask. If it is supposed to take one, I'm not sure how it would be secured without the stock reinforcement hardware.

Good luck!

And welcome to the forum from Central Virginia!

·
Registered
370 Posts
All the Hogue stocks need is the forend liner , same goes with the Ruger syn stock. The forend liner is needed as the op rod will make contact with it , some more than others. Not all aftermarket stocks require the stock reinforcement liner . Here is a quote from Choate about there conventional stock.

Quote..The Conventional Stock replicates the factory stock, but with a highly durable and weatherproof polymer construction. The glass filled fiberglass will not warp or crack and is impervious to moisture. Comes with a 1" buttpad and sling swivel studs. Fits the 181 series and up only. All Choate stocks carry a lifetime warranty.

Note: Choate's Conventional Stock does not use the action liner anymore. Ruger has stopped using the liner in the synthetic stock they support with the rifles. Ruger still sends action liners with the wood stocks, but you no longer need to use the action liner in the newer stocks, only the barrel liner. The synthetic stocks are strong enough to work without the liner.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gentlemen:

Thanks to you both for your reply's and information, I sincerely appreciate it. But the particular stock I picked up on Friday would not allow me to install the trigger assembly even without the action liner. I'm wondering if the new stocks (sans action liner and screw holes) have a narrower insertion slot since the Ruger redesign.

I'm driving through Bald Knob on Tuesday and will try to swap out for the old style to see if that helps. I love the folks at Choate, seems like they've got a separate warehouse of items that they've discontinued through the years!

And you're spot-on about the hand-guard, RJF. It didn't fall off when I inverted the gun, but definitely needed a squeeze on the clamp.

peace be with you both,
Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts