Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I hit the range tonight with the wife and a friend with my KP89 and my KP95DPR and my P89 was as trouble free as ever. My P95 however (which I just recieved back from Ruger to fix the frame to slide fit) had another FTE. Once, on the second to the last round it failed to extract and it then tried to load another round. Naturally the fresh round had no where to go. It had done this once before, before it's trip to Ruger. Might the extracter need to be tweaked or replaced? What else might cause this? BTW, the gun was more accurate after it's trip to Ruger. They did a good job on it. But the FTE I've experienced twice is really bothering me. Any suggestions is appreciated.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
You might search here under extractor-I think I remember one of the gun gurus teaching us how to polish or tweak the extractor within the last 3 months....

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
The two areas to check would be the extractor, as you mentioned, and the chamber... make sure there's no "crud" or burrs in the chamber...

What ammunition are you using? Laquered cartridges, like Wolf, can cause this... Hot barrel melts the paint and fouls the chamber...

When it jams, are there marks on the case rim? If there are, remove the barrel from the pistol and hand fit cartridge, into and out of the chamber, to see if there is drag...

If that looks good, smooth fit and no binding, look towards the extractor. Remove it from the gun and inspect the claw, the part that "snaps" over the case rim. You may want to "tweak" the bend of the extractor. Also check for burrs on the top and bottom edges. While you have it out, clean/inspect the little cavity in the slide, where the extractor retainer fits. Dress any nicks or burrs in the cavity and the mating part on the extractor, that round little tab on the back of the extractor. Re-install into the slide and make sure it springs in and out smoothly... Head for the range and test cycle several magazines full through the pistol by hand... If it fails, start looking towards the magazine lips...

I hope this helps you out...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts