Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bunch of these guns, but I came across this old stainless 10" MKII the other day and had to have it. Looked clean inside and out. he problem is pictured below and here is what I have already done:

THOROUGHLY cleaned.
Installed Volq. Extractor
Checked and cleaned chamber and checked for dry-fire pings
Tried 5 different magazines
Tried 5 different types of ammo High and low velocity.

The gun has malfunctioned in this way since I bought it. I have put about 300 rounds through it trying to get it to work, trying diff. mags, and trying different ammo. It has only shot 2 mags all the way through without a mag. Usually it jams 1 out of 3 shots. I have another MKII and I run all ammo and all 5 of my mags with it and NEVER have this prob. Anyone?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,480 Posts
texasaiga, Any time you have a "stove pipe" as noted in your photo, the extractor is not doing its job to hold the case rim firmly against the bolt face. Usually it's the extractor itself ... however it could be a bad bolt. Pull the bolt and insert a case under the extractor. Hold the case with the bolt vertical. The weight of the bolt should not allow the extractor to let go of the case rim. Another thing to try ... swap bolts from another MK II that works properly. If the "other" bolt functions reliably, your bolt is defective. From my experience, I have seen the pivot point in the bolt that contacts the extractor cut too far forward. This results in the case rim not being held tight enough against the bolt face by the extractor. When the case and bolt blow back, there isn't enough extractor tension to hold the case so it lets go and remains in the receiver.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you sir. Good suggestions.... As noted, I already have replaced the extractor but I will check how tight it hols the casing and also try swapping bolts... Dont know why I didnt think to do that last range trip. :mad:

Is there any possibility that the ejector iteself could be slightly bent? When I pull the bolt back and look inside, the ejector is actually VERY VERY slightly in contact with the magazine lip. I thought t first that it was bent down a little bit, but upon inspection, my other MKII that functions perfectly looks identical...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Texasaiga, that is quite unusual, especially after installing a VQ extractor.

Long time ago there was a guy named Mike Smisko at Ruger who could do a quick diagnosis on the phone and send you the appropriate parts for free. Haven't heard of his named mentioned for several years so I guess he's not there anymore.

Let us know how it works out. I have 3 MK-2's and all of them work flawlessly with the VQ extractor.

·
Banned
163 Posts
Had a Mark 1, used when I got it. Traded it and ended up with a brand new Mark II. Piece of you know what, FTE, FTF, Got rid of it. So sad. Wish I still had the Mark I.

Reb

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Texasaiga, that is quite unusual, especially after installing a VQ extractor.

Long time ago there was a guy named Mike Smisko at Ruger who could do a quick diagnosis on the phone and send you the appropriate parts for free. Haven't heard of his named mentioned for several years so I guess he's not there anymore.

Let us know how it works out. I have 3 MK-2's and all of them work flawlessly with the VQ extractor.
Man, that sounds like a lucky break I could handle... Wish he was still around.. My other MKII as well as both my 10/22 eat anything and everything. I hear these guys talking about cleaning their 10/22's every 200 rounds or else they start jamming.... Hmmm... I guess I have missed about 50 cleanings then, because I have put thousands of rounds through it and never cleaned it.. :D (thats my funky one) My shiny 10/22 as well as both my MK's, stay pristine, mainly for pride over function.

Had a Mark 1, used when I got it. Traded it and ended up with a brand new Mark II. Piece of you know what, FTE, FTF, Got rid of it. So sad. Wish I still had the Mark I.

Reb
Strange.... they are both essentially the same gun. But then again, so are my two.... :rolleyes:

I have not had a chance to shoot them again, but I did swap bolts and while they were out gave them a good side by side inspection....... IDENTICAL. Here are pics for proof. Extractor specs are the same on both... :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
did you install a new spring with the Volq. extractor?
They dont make a replacement spring for the MKII. Just the 10/22. The spring that came with it specifically said NOT to use it but to stay with the factory spring. Both springs in both guns feel nice and firm.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Nice pics and truly a very mysterious situation. May I ask what type of ammo have you used?

I just use the regular bulk pack that was available anywhere (before the all the hoarding began). You did right by not using the sping that came with your VQ extractor.

Maybe your gun just needs a new extractor spring from Ruger? But it's still up in the air until you get the chance to shoot your MK-2 with the other bolt.

BTW, what kind of picatinny rail do you have on you KMK 678GC? Is that a VQ also? Looks real swell!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Missing or incomplete information. Did you install the V. extractor to cure the same problem with a stock part? The usual extractor stuff applies, such as is the hook angle "positive", does it fit into the barrel notch when the bolt is closed, does it hold a case against the bolt face, does the extractor pivot mechanism work smoothly, etc.

One thing to look for on older Marks is a loose ejector. The ejector should be riveted in solidly. General mishandling will work the ejector loose and cause all kinds of problems.

Finally, are rounds able to chamber and extract from the chamber without binding? Built up dirt, crud, bullet lube, etc.

-Eor

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
They dont make a replacement spring for the MKII. Just the 10/22. The spring that came with it specifically said NOT to use it but to stay with the factory spring. Both springs in both guns feel nice and firm.
It wouldn't hurt to install a new factory extractor spring, and you don't list having installed a new recoil spring. That's always a good idea on a Mark pistol you don't know the exact history of, gives you a fresh start.

You can't "feel" how good a spring is.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,480 Posts
texasaiga, A visual comparison inspection won't reveal much unless there is a gross difference. Just a few thousandths in a critical place can mean the difference in work - no work and that won't show up with just your eye balls. Try swapping bolts and let us know if that cured the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts