Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is an FTE a failure to eject, failure to extract, or both? Recently I saw two different symptoms. In one, which I consider a failure to eject and which I think is called a stovepipe, the empty casing ended up lodged in the gap between the barrel and the slide.

I have also seen where the casing is not fully extracted from the barrel and jammed between the top round in the mag and the slide. I would call this a failure to extract, since the casing is still partially in the barrel, but maybe it extracted but didn't eject and ended up getting jammed back into the opening to the barrel?

Are these both considered FTE's, even though they may have different causes?

Thanks
OB

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Fte

Is an FTE a failure to eject, failure to extract, or both? Recently I saw two different symptoms. In one, which I consider a failure to eject and which I think is called a stovepipe, the empty casing ended up lodged in the gap between the barrel and the slide.

I have also seen where the casing is not fully extracted from the barrel and jammed between the top round in the mag and the slide. I would call this a failure to extract, since the casing is still partially in the barrel, but maybe it extracted but didn't eject and ended up getting jammed back into the opening to the barrel?

Are these both considered FTE's, even though they may have different causes?

Thanks
OB
IMHO they're one in the same--a failure to clear the ejection port during normal operation:)

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Failure to extract and failure to eject are two separate but related issues. Using FTE is common but not totally clear either way although I generally take it to mean eject.

·
Super Moderator
16,279 Posts
OB ... FTE is commonly used for both ejection and extraction issues, and can be confusing if the particular symptoms are not clearly identified. Maybe we should start a clarification campaign here by using FTEx and FTEj :)

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
OB ... FTE is commonly used for both ejection and extraction issues, and can be confusing if the particular symptoms are not clearly identified. Maybe we should start a clarification campaign here by using FTEx and FTEj :)
+1

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
+3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts