Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says I am wondering how you guys carry your full size pistols? I just ordered a Smith M&P 40 Full Size. So far I like the DM Bullard Bodyguard and the Simply Rugged Cuda pancake holster. Also tossing around the Galco Shoulder Holster just not sure about vertical versus horizontal carry.

I don't think IWB would really be feasible with this gun, but it may with a Crossbreed Supertuck or even the Simply Rugged Cuda with Inside Out Straps.

Just looking for ideas and what works for you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Full Size Carry

As the title says I am wondering how you guys carry your full size pistols? I just ordered a Smith M&P 40 Full Size. So far I like the DM Bullard Bodyguard and the Simply Rugged Cuda pancake holster. Also tossing around the Galco Shoulder Holster just not sure about vertical versus horizontal carry.

I don't think IWB would really be feasible with this gun, but it may with a Crossbreed Supertuck or even the Simply Rugged Cuda with Inside Out Straps.

My SR9C fits well IWB/appendix with a Crossbreed...but, I've gotta admit that holiday eating is making it a bit tight there:). I'm 5'8" and around 155, FWIW. Most comfy for me is my Sig p238, again IWB/appendix.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My waistband has always been tight... I am 6' around 240.

I carry my Blackhawk 45 Colt 4 5/8 in a Simply Rugged Sourdough OWB and IWB on occasion and can do so fairly comfortably with a good belt.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I carried a FS for awhile...

I use OWB carry, I also like thumb break holsters...

I have tryed the Galco King Tuk and I like it... I'm not crazy about IWB carry as it just doesn't work with my body style... If I were to carry that way I would say the King Tuk or the Cross Breed would be the way to go...

As I said, I stay with OWB and carry that way...

I was carrying a S&W M&P compact but I bought a S&W Pro Series 1911 officer size to replace it, I also bought the Shield so when I have to carry in a pocket I will have that...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!

I am going to pick up a Simply Rugged Cuda for it for now because of my experience with their stuff and it fits my Chest Pully Shoulder Rig that I use with my revolvers.

Also going to investigate the DM Bullard Bodyguard as it looks like it offers a perfect cant and height for easy concealibility.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts

Can you elaborate as to why you don't think an IWB rig will work for you? For what it's worth, I carry a full size gun [Ruger P-90] in just such a holster any time I'm off duty, and no one can tell I'm carrying. I've also pulled off the same trick with a 4" GP-100 in an IWB holster; again, no issues.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NCLEO

It may work. I have carried IWB a few time and while not bad, it was uncomfortable. I have since bought a dedicated gun belt so that will probably help a lot.

What holster do you use?

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
NCLEO

It may work. I have carried IWB a few time and while not bad, it was uncomfortable. I have since bought a dedicated gun belt so that will probably help a lot.

What holster do you use?
I use one from FIST. Their quality is top-notch, and their prices are actually pretty good too. When I order from them, I usually just call them and describe for them exactly what type of holster I need and it's features [open or closed bottom, thumb break or no, color, etc.]. Also, regarding what you said about it being uncomfortable....allow me to share with you a line from Clint Smith, owner/operator of Thunder Ranch: "Carrying a gun is not supposed to be comfortable...it's supposed to be comforting.";)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I am actually giving it a trial run today in an inside coat pocket that seems as if it was made for a FS auto. I will be investigating the options out there more.

It is VERY comforting having the LCP + reload in my pants pocket and the M&P + reload in my coat.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Well I am actually giving it a trial run today in an inside coat pocket that seems as if it was made for a FS auto. I will be investigating the options out there more.

It is VERY comforting having the LCP + reload in my pants pocket and the M&P + reload in my coat.
Understood, and to each their own...heck, any gun is better than none at all. Me, I take more comfort in a full-sized handgun. Here's another Clint quote: "I never met anyone who had been in a gunfight that had wished for a smaller gun when the bullets were flying."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.