Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone think Ruger will ever take the technology that makes the LCR what it is and apply it to a full size revolver? I hope they do one day.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
If you want a bigger revolver, I just dont see the point of polymer. No offense if that gets you excited, awesome. Just not my thing.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
The LCR was made to be a very light all day carry defensive gun. I hear they are durable, but revolver fans (like me) will still favor an all-steel gun like the GP100 for actual shooting.

Revolver fans tend to be very traditionalist and don't like change...in a world of hi-cap polymer frame pistols, wheelgun nuts like things to stay the way they are. With as many S&W fans who threw a fit about the locks on the revolvers and MIM parts, I don't see a big poly revolver being well accepted at all.

.....and many of the people who love poly frame auto pistols could care less about anything with a cylinder. The two don't tend to mix, most revolver fans won't buy a poly frame GP100-sized revolver. There's a reason the SP101 is still very popular, it's Rugers mainstay compact all-steel revolver and the LCR will never fully replace it.

The only thing I could see being less accepted than a full size poly frame DA revolver is a poly frame Single Action wheelgun:) A few people would buy them just to have something different, but not many would sell overall.

·
Registered
334 Posts
It's an interesting idea - A full sized, 4" or maybe 6" barrel, grey 6 or 7 shot .357 cylinder, aluminum upper and polymer bottom revolver. Light as heck. Interesting but not anything that'd sell (as said by posters above). I wouldn't buy one, mainly because there are other guns I'd rather spend my limited funds on. If I won the power ball lottery I'd probably buy one.
Anyway, I like a weapon with some heft to it.

·
Super Moderator
21,197 Posts
A DAO trigger is great for self defense and the LCR is smooth. The LCR shape is a polymer version of the Smith humpback J frame and designed for snag free draw. To me those are both disadvantages in a large frame revolver that could be used for hunting or target shooting where the single action mode will shine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think there would be a market for LCR technology in larger revolvers. Would you buy a GP-100 sized LCR if it was $120 cheaper than the comparable GP-100? Cheaper, lighter, nicer trigger...hmm...

I could see a market for maybe a 3" LCR, but any longer barrels would be better on a larger polymer / alloy frame. I could also envision a LSR (Light Service Revolver), a full-framed revolver with 5-10 shot cylinder, depending on caliber. Imagine a lightweight L-frame sized 10-shot .22, 7-shot .357, or 5-shot .44 Special at a reasonable price.

I'm in!

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
Just take out the lightweight aspect and keep the great trigger and muzzle rise reduction.
You would lose the muzzle rise reduction without the light weight. The cylinder frame being heavier than the grip frame does that, puts the balance point way forward.

I could see Ruger adapting the action to an otherwise "normal" revolver, but you can get a good trigger on most revolvers now, with a little work.

I have the 357 and 22 LCRs, and have no kick except the 22 model's black finished aluminum, little better than spray paint. I would be happier if they both had stainless frames, and Ruger's usual brushed finish.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Smith & Wesson did something similar some years back. I know they weren’t around long. They took a Model 38/49/649 Bodyguard and blew it up. These were 44 SPL. The bullet weight couldn’t exceed I think it was 200 or 220 grains. I’m not sure what it is now without digging it out. They were a “L” frame. The reason I know any of this is, I bought one and it’s been in the safe every since.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I would love if the DA trigger on my GP was as smooth as my LCR.

Other than that, if I want a full size revolver, I want it big, shiny, and heavy. Just me though.

·
Banned
586 Posts
I think that I'm not the only one urging Ruger to offer a GP-100 sized 5 shot LCR
in .44 Special.

Charter Arms, has dominated the small .44 Special market for way too long!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, but it might not remain a small market if quality manufacturers get in the game. There are no such current offerings by Ruger or Smith. Bring on the LSR in .44 Special!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am going to wake up an old thread here.

I was watching Gunblast.com on youtube today because Jeff Quinn go a hold of an LCR 9mm. Awesome revolver. It will not replace my LCR .38 due to the 9mm's steal frame.

BUT! I want on to watch the next video on Lehigh Defence Ammo.

At about 2:30 mins Jeff mentions that there are some "lightweight .44 specials" in the works and he cannot talk about it.

With Jeff's close ties to Ruger I pretty much think it is a slam dunk that Ruger has a LCR and/or LSR in .44 special on the way.

Hope! Hope!

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
I am going to wake up an old thread here.

I was watching Gunblast.com on youtube today because Jeff Quinn go a hold of an LCR 9mm. Awesome revolver. It will not replace my LCR .38 due to the 9mm's steal frame.

BUT! I want on to watch the next video on Lehigh Defence Ammo.

At about 2:30 mins Jeff mentions that there are some "lightweight .44 specials" in the works and he cannot talk about it.

With Jeff's close ties to Ruger I pretty much think it is a slam dunk that Ruger has a LCR and/or LSR in .44 special on the way.

Hope! Hope!
Cool!
Do you have a link to the Gunblast.com video?
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
A full size LCR?

No thanks....

There will be a market for it but Ruger should never stop making GP100's in an effort to go with a polymer version.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. You can get a GP100 for $550 new, now that prices have stabilized. It will last pretty much forever......if that's not a bargain I don't know what is.

Auto pistol fans are more accepting of polymer and weight saving material.

Revolver fanatics, and I mean true fanatics, the guys who read "No second place winner" to their children before bed and carry revolvers and speed strips for CC.....will always want steel guns. They (we) are not as accepting of change. Even if the poly revolver lasts as long as the steel version it won't be as popular.

·
Registered
221 Posts
An up-sized LCR might compete very well with the full-size scandium frame revolvers made by S&W (which cost a fortune). Who needs a pricey scandium alloy if you can get the weight reduction with polymer? I would buy a 6 or 7 shot version in a heart beat.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts