Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, just wondering about something. I scanned back through 25 pages or so of past CCW Forum thread titles to see if I could get an answer / information to my question but I didn't see anything specific to my topic title...(with my old peepers I could of missed it too)...but anyway, question is...

Does anybody CCW a full size Model 1911 pistol?

If so, can you elaborate on method / location of carry you employ, holster type used, any special "tricks" you implement to aid in comfort and concealment, etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
If so, can you elaborate on method / location of carry you employ, holster type used, any special "tricks" you implement to aid in comfort and concealment, etc.
I would be interested in these answers myself. Especially if a crossdraw holster is used. Maker and any relevant comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have not, but know others who do.

You'll need a nice sturdy gun belt to support the weight.

As far as concealment goes, that'll depend on the person and the gear.

I would think a OWB or IWB with proper cover garment would conceal quite well. While still large, a 1911 isn't overly thick, which I think is a key factor in concealment.

EDIT: I've also considered getting a new kydex for 1911 for my Whitehat Holster and try it out IWB. I have a feeling it will ride a little to deep for my comfort preferences, but worth checking out.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I used a Galco kingtuk with a full sized 1911 for awhile- it worked very well, but I stopped carrying that way due to lower back problems. I now carry using a Miami classic shoulder rig.
Shoulder rig carry isn't going to work for everyone though, body shape and size makes a difference as to how easily and how big of a pistol you can conceal, and it requires much more attention to dress than belt carry.
I can conceal a 1911 easily this way though. I go to walmart and buy their $13 t-shirt/button down shirt combos 1 size larger than I normally wear specifically for carry.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,338 Posts
My every day carry gun is a 1911 carried OWB. This is my Dan Wesson Valor in a tiger shark leather DM Bullard combat holster and magazine carrier. I rotate it with an S&W Lew Horton Special 1911 or a Kimber Super Carry Custom 1911. I wear an untucked oversize shirt over it. I carry the gun at 3:00 o'clock and the spare magazine at 9:00 o'clock.

During the winter or for trips to rural areas, I substitute a Glock G20SF and two spare magazines for the 1911s.

I also have conceal-carried my Desert Eagle OWB for a full work day around law enforcement officers and no one noticed. I did it to win a bet with a LEO friend who said it couldn't be done. He didn't notice untill I showed him after work.

·
Registered
495 Posts
EDC alternates between a Colt MKIV Series 70 Government Model or my SR1911 in a Simply Rugged Sourdough by Rob Leahy. Very comfortable; easily concealed beneath a suitcoat or light jacket. Simply Rugged Holsters

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I carry a SR 1911 in either a Milt Sparks Summer Special IWB or a Blackhawk CQC Serpa Kydex OWB.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Don't see why not with the right holster and sensible clothing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know a few people that carry full size 1911s in Cleveland's Holsters..

Why not? They are thinner than most hi-cap subcompact autos, and if in the right holster, the only thing you'd notice would be the extra weight. And that is negligible..

·
Registered
13 Posts
I picked up a SR 1911 recently, and carry it in a Kingtuk IWB. Just make sure you have a good belt, and it will conceal very well. For me, wearing it lower on the belt works out better. If it is too high, it pokes and scratches. It took a few days to find that sweet spot between holster height and cant.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Folks've been doing it for a hundred years. ;)

I like a pancake style holster for the heavier guns. Distributes the weight over a wider area and keeps it hugged up closer to my generous torso. ;)

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WOW, thanks for all the info on the 1911 carry! :)

I'm considering carry my SR1911, just need some help in deciding...and who best to ask then the Forum! ;)

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I alternate between my Glock 23 g4 and Ruger SR1911, both with OWB holsters. I tried four or five holsters, but the most comfortable and concealable is the Bullard Bodyguard. It's severe cant easily conceals and the comfortable angle doesn't pull my pants down like the Serpa or other less concealable types.

Bodyguard Holster - D.M. Bullard Leather Mfg.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I love the option of an aluminum frame with a 4 in. bbl for the 1911 in 45. Don't even need a good gun belt! Thin, light, and 45 power! Sweet deal.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
When I ran a business in NJ that had large cash business I caried a para p-14-45 stell frame in a milt sparks summer special inside the waistband holster or a galco royal guardsman. This gun wighed 40 ounces empty and over 50 ounces full loaded with 14 rounds of 45 acp. I carried 12-13 hours a day. I used a heavy 13/4 inch belt from galco or kraemer leather and purchased my pants 2 inches larger in the waist for a comfortable fit. I wore a sweater vest over it and was never spotted which as ccw except on you property or business is illegal.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My every day carry gun is a 1911 carried OWB. This is my Dan Wesson Valor in a tiger shark leather DM Bullard combat holster and magazine carrier. I rotate it with an S&W Lew Horton Special 1911 or a Kimber Super Carry Custom 1911. I wear an untucked oversize shirt over it. I carry the gun at 3:00 o'clock and the spare magazine at 9:00 o'clock...

During the winter or for trips to rural areas, I substitute a Glock G20SF and two spare magazines for the 1911s.

I also have conceal-carried my Desert Eagle OWB for a full work day around law enforcement officers and no one noticed. I did it to win a bet with a LEO friend who said it couldn't be done. He didn't notice untill I showed him after work.
Wow, what a beautiful collection! How do you decide what to shoot at the range? You must have a big smile on your face every time you think of all your superb handguns.

Happy for you!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Want to extend my continued appreciation for your responses to my question! I've picked up quite a bit of good intel...

I'll keep monitoring this thread for more "stuff"...

Thanks again! ;)

·
4E617468616E 4C656767
1,840 Posts
I cc my Springfield 1911 in an OWB during the cooler months when I can wear jackets and vests all day long. I prefer polo shirts in the summer so I stick with my SR9c in an IWB when wearing jeans during that time. When it's really hot and I wear shorts, I cc a Sig P238 in a pocket holster.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts