Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my bisley seems to be sorted out quite well I have been playing with different loads and seems like I found a fun one. 10 grains Herco powder and 240 grain cast kieth bullets are averaging 1077 from the 4 5/8 barrel and 1175 from the 7 1/2 barrel. Plenty of power I think seeing how the biggest thing I will ever have to shoot and its a long shot is an angry black angus.

Its below starting loads in most manuals but I am getting 2" groups off hand with it at 25 yards. Not al lot of people mention Herco powder but im a fan!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive never tried any 300 grainers yet but one day I will. I just couldnt find a load with unique to suit me from 8 all the way up to 11 grains in those two 44 mags. Im hoping I can get some good 45 colt loads with it.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I use 240s for all my 44 loads. Old habit I guess but they give enough weight to be effective and when I cast bullets are economical with harder to find bullet metal than the heavies. I use WW231 powder and a right in the middle weight of powder from the Hodgdon data. Easy on the hand but will get the purpose accomplished. If I need anything more I go to WW296 or H110, same powder, and the top load in the data.

If I lived or was going to grizzly country I might go with heavy bullets. So far as I know that is not in the works.

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
All of us have a different sense of what is 'fun'. For me, heavy loads are not 'fun'. I like to enjoy my shooting and hit what I aim at :) . I always use a 240g bullet. My general purpose loads are 7.5g of Unique under 240g SWC in .44Special, and 10g of Unique under 240g SWC for .44Mag. Shoot all day and be happy when I get home without a sore palm or wrist. Ie. Fun shooting. Plus these loads will do most all that need doing too if called upon for defense or varmint shooting.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats one of the things i love about big bores. You can load pretty mild or moderate and still have enough power to stop anything i will encounter. Ill probably never get to visit grizzly land but if i do i can always go hot and most likely do the job. Recoil is light, the report is more of a deep boom than a loud crack.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice! Thanks salmoneye. I bought lots of powder and bullets from a friends dad who was getting rid of everything after 50+ years(!)of loading. I got probably 12 lbs of blue dot, couple lbs herco, 8lbs hs6, couple lbs of 2400, 3000 lead 240 grn swc .430 and 1500 230 grain lead .452.
It was like reloading paradise lol. He has more i just couldnt buy it all that day

·
Registered
649 Posts
The only loads in that manual that Alliant will not stand behind are Blue Dot in .357 mag and in .41 mag...

"
Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 357 Magnum load using the 125 grain projectile (Blue Dot® recipes with heavier bullet weights as specified in Alliant Powders Reloading Guide are acceptable for use).
Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 41 Magnum cartridge (all bullet weights).

Use of Blue Dot® in the above cases may cause a high pressure situation that could cause property damage and serious personal injury."

More at link:

Alliant Powder - Safety Notice

·
Registered
121 Posts
Try some 200 grain Gold Dots (the ones made for 44 special velocities) driven by the powder of your choice at near magnum velocities. They crater whatever they hit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts