Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a gun show today that was not too bad. No big purchases, but some useful small stuff. I bought a pretty nice range bag I'm looking forward to using.

For the speed six I got a couple speed loaders and a #8 Tyler t-grip to thicken the grip and hopefully improve my performance.

Also entered several raffles for cool guns and other stuff, so wish me luck on that.

Then I went and took my 870 20 ga. out and shot two rounds of skeet. That's the humbling part. Wow, do I suck! It was fun, and a couple of times I thought I had some stuff figured out, but I'm embarassed to say I could only get 6 out of 25. Yikes. The problem is, I'm not hitting enough targets to even know what a correct lead or bead on a target LOOKS like! So I'm all over the place, but mostly under and behind I think. Anyway, it was fun.

Then I got home (this is the frustrating part) and started fiddling with all my goodies. The t-grip fits horribly. I can't believe this is as good as it gets with a speed six. I am going to take a picture and email Tyler and ask, does it look like the wrong number part was in the bag? Or is this as good a fit as I can expect?? I'll post a picture here shortly...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
here are some pics. I'm disappointed most of all because I can tell that this t-grip will make the gun easier to grip and hopefully shoot more accurately, but I can't accept this fit, it would drive me crazy...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yeah, that doesn't look so good. I'm not familiar with the t-grip...how is it attached? I know you don't want to go with the rubber grips, so if you can work this out satisfactorily it should help, while not detracting too much from the stock appearance.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Sounds like time to break out the files, grinding wheels and refinish this bad boy.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Does it have an 8 stamped on the inside/underside of it?

As said maybe just a small bit of light work may corect it. I'd take it out and shoot it regardless and see if it improves the handling as i think it will.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hi Ed! Thanks for sharing. What kind of not bad it was? I'm planning to go out there tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Deputy, I didn't notice before but it does have an '8' stamped on it. I guess that's as good as it gets without alteration.

Gunman, I am going to give Sheepdog's grips a try because I can try them before I buy them. But I did just get a Hogue catalog on the mail yesterday, so I guess I'm officially shopping for a new grip for that. I love the gun, just need to find a grip that I'm comfortable with.

Blade, compared to the Chantilly Expo show it's smaller, but I thought there was a good mixed of new and used, old and new, guns and accessories. Only six bucks to get in, if you're within an hour I'd say it's worth going. Yesterday it was exactly what I was in the mood for, so I hope I'm not hyping it too much.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Oh me I just ordered a set of Tyler's for my Sp-Six. Guess I'll have to tune them up a little. The ones I got for my S&W fit good. I got the Hogue Monogrip on one of my S&W's and I really do like it a lot. I hate the looks of rubber but they do give you more control over your gun. They will cause the gun to hang in your pocket but not in a belt holster.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am going to look at the wood grips from Hogue. Same shapes as the rubber ones but I might like the look of wood better.

Baldy I would love to get your feedback on the tyler when you get it, both its initial fit and whether you are able to alter it effectively.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Thanks, Ed. I went there and found the show not bad. Bought just a minor stuff, mostly wondered around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts