Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been enjoying my shorty Vaquero .45 since installing the burl grips. I had taken some photographs last week, and today I got out to shoot some of my 250gr lead reloads. I was shooting it one handed at 30 feet. The target shows ten shots, but one slipped off the left edge. This little single action is so much fun. It sure packs a punch for its small size.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,583 Posts
This one is a beauty. Gives many of us another urge to get another project going. Good job and love the grips. I just bet it does pack a punch!

·
Registered
300 Posts
What a great looking little piece. Glad to hear it's a good shooter. I've had an itch for something like that since I can't remember when. :)

·
Registered
481 Posts
I keep admiring that birds head, nga. Love those grips! I like that pocket watch too. Is it old? I couldn't make out the dial.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I keep admiring that birds head, nga. Love those grips! I like that pocket watch too. Is it old? I couldn't make out the dial.
It's nearly 100 years old. It was my grandfather's. I researched it recently. The case is just the gold filled one, and the movement only has the low jewel count. Watches like it were going for less than $50.00 online. I'm 56 years old. I just like having the pocket knife and watch grandpa carried. The knife is his old Camillus.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,583 Posts
ngashooter, Glad you have enough respect for your grandfather and his cherished possessions to care and keep them. Those are very nice. It is good to honor them.
*Love the rifle too!
Rick

·
Registered
481 Posts
ngashooter, Glad you have enough respect for your grandfather and his cherished possessions to care and keep them.
I concur, nga. Nice Waltham watch and guns. I know what they mean to you. I have my mom's dad's Illinois watch (1915) and his squirrel guns, a Remington 5teen 22 and his 20 gauge bolt action, tucked away in the safe. Thanks for sharing. I keep looking back at that birdshead of yours.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I concur, nga. Nice Waltham watch and guns. I know what they mean to you. I have my mom's dad's Illinois watch (1915) and his squirrel guns, a Remington 5teen 22 and his 20 gauge bolt action, tucked away in the safe. Thanks for sharing. I keep looking back at that birdshead of yours.
Show us the old classic guns and tell their story. I love reading those kinds of things.I lucked into the birdshead Vaquero several years back. A buddy called and said had a "cowboy gun with a funny grip" for sale. It turned out to be the original large frame Vaquero birdshead with case colored frame and short barrel. I was smitten. He wanted $350.00 and I couldn't get to the ATM fast enough!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Show us the old classic guns and tell their story. I love reading those kinds of things.I lucked into the birdshead Vaquero several years back. A buddy called and said had a "cowboy gun with a funny grip" for sale. It turned out to be the original large frame Vaquero birdshead with case colored frame and short barrel. I was smitten. He wanted $350.00 and I couldn't get to the ATM fast enough!
I need some budfies like that ! :D

·
Registered
327 Posts
I thought I needed a flock of Birds in the large frame Vaqueros. Now I'm working a flock of Single Sixes, three in hand and three off to the Gunsmiths. I guess you could call me a Birdhead.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,583 Posts
I thought I needed a flock of Birds in the large frame Vaqueros. Now I'm working a flock of Single Sixes, three in hand and three off to the Gunsmiths. I guess you could call me a Birdhead.
Amazing photo! Beautiful collection and yes! I think you qualify as a "Birdhead" and I say that with all due respect. Very good work for sure and appreciate the effort. I am sure these have caused many to start a project or two.
PEACE FAVOR YOUR SWORD!

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What a great photo of those stunning revolvers! I would hang a poster size blow up of that on my wall as art. Outstanding sets of birdshead Vaqueros.

·
Registered
227 Posts
love my birdsheads! i mostly shoot rimfire, so i have a pair of Shopkeepers (both iron sights in stainless and blued) and a Vaquero .357 short-barrel. my stainless Shopkeeper pairs nicely with the nearly pristine 1910 Hammerless Safety given to me by my father-in-law (his mother used to carry it when going to the NYC Metropolitan opera in the 20s!):

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

1 - 19 of 19 Posts