Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... as in

Now, I know what some of you guys are thinking. What's a nice sweet old girl doing shooting such a nasty boomer of a handgun, especially since her hunting days are probably behind her?

Hi, my name is North Country Gal and I am a recoil addict. I've tried many times to stay away from the big kicking handguns, but ...

Seriously, let me assure you that I am no newbie to shooting magnum handguns. Shot my very first deer with a Super Blackhawk 44 mag, back in the early 70s after teaching myself how to shoot the gun over the course of 6 months, but that's another story.

Not new to the 454, either, having recently shot it as a milder load in a S&W X frame 460. In the same vein, I'll be shooting a lot of 45 Colt in this new Bisley.

Okay, might as well get the next question out of the way. How is the recoil on this new Bisley 454?

Off the rest - the worst way to shoot a big magnum - I made it through about 25 rounds (my self-imposed limit with this class of magnums) with no bruises or spilt blood to show for it, but I was using a shooting glove and that's one accessory I highly recommend for range work with such a gun. Let me also add that Ruger knew what they were doing in offering this gun with the Bisley grip. Stinging up my forearms, yes, but pain and discomfort in my hand, no.

With those questions out of the way, here's the reason I bought the Bisley 454. I love accurate revolvers and it is all the more rewarding when you can tame a beast like the 454 and get it to shoot with accuracy. That's what draws me to shoot these magnum handguns. I love the challenge and, yes, the thrill, too.

After a dozen shots at 25 yards with a couple of different factory 454 ammo to tweak the sights and get a feel for the gun, I moved out to 50 yards to really see what the gun could do.

A few more shots to get in the bull and time to shoot a group with factory Hornady 300 grain XTP Mags. My last 5 shots with 454. Yup, had an amazing group going for four shots, but I blew that last one.

Time to relax, so I switched to some factory 45 Colt JSps. After shooting 454s, shooting these 45 Colt loads was like shooting a 38 Special in this gun. Not as accurate as the 454 with this ammo, but not bad, either, considering all shooting was with factory open sights.

Overall, very pleased with this new Bisley 454. My husband likes shooting it, too, but only with 45 Colt ammo. He doesn't share my lunacy for the nasty kickers. Guess one of us has to be level headed. :)

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Very nice! I'm looking for one in 480 Ruger.

·
Registered
949 Posts
NCG, glad to see your out having fun with your new acquisition ( this warm weather helps ), as you know I have the .480 and love it, as you will the .454. With the opening of firearms deer season this past weekend I was hoping to put it to use but no such luck yet,
It will be interesting to see if accuracy is similar to your other .45s with the same loads keep us posted on that

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks, folks.

Dad, it is a little early to make any hard and fast accuracy claims, but have to say that it does look promising. One thing about shooting these big bores is that it is slow going, given the limited number of rounds you can shoot and stay fresh and at your best.

I almost opted for the 480, but have more experience with the 454 and, of course, I love being able to shoot 45 Colt, so basically the 454 was a more practical choice. Please let me know how the 480 shoots, though.

Forgot to mention no issues with extraction, either. Bore and throat were very clean after I took it home to clean. Had done a poor boy trigger thing - lifted one side of the trigger return spring off the peg - but that got me TOO light a trigger pull, so quickly reversed it. A sweet light trigger is nice on on a 22 or even a 357, but touching off a shot when you are not quite fully set with your grip and stance on a 454 can get you bloody and bruised.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,521 Posts
One of those calibers that I don't need but want anyway.

Great looking gun!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Great review NCG. I'm anxiously waiting the arrival of the same model, thanks to yours and others on the forum.

I share your passion for the big boomers and that is some good shooting.

Know what you mean about shooting a magnum revolver off of a rest. I used a small step ladder for my first 454 Casull (7 1/2" SRH) off of bags that allowed me to shoot it standing.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, again, folks.

Marine, yeah, I really hate shooting revolvers off a rest, but do so for the sake of sighting in and accuracy testing. Next time out with the 454, I'll be shooting it the way revolvers were meant to be shot. :)

·
Banned
308 Posts
Very nice! I'm looking for one in 480 Ruger.
Either caliber would be awesome in the magnificent Ruger Bisley.

Maybe I'm missing something concerning the .480 Ruger. I see it as a slightly larger diameter projectile, which in most instances can be equaled in weight and velocity in the .454 Ca, but looses the versatility of also firing .45 Colts.

Is the .480R superior in a significant way over .454 Ca?

Thanks

·
Registered
397 Posts

Thanks
No. With handloading and the right powder and bullets, the 454 Casull can do anything the 480 can do. Plus you can shoot 45 Colt, too.
Not all 454 loads have to be the full power break your wrist type loads.

Of the two, the 454 Casull is clearly the most versatile.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Looks like you got a keeper!

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Either caliber would be awesome in the magnificent Ruger Bisley.

Maybe I'm missing something concerning the .480 Ruger. I see it as a slightly larger diameter projectile, which in most instances can be equaled in weight and velocity in the .454 Ca, but looses the versatility of also firing .45 Colts.

Thanks
I wouldn't look at it as one being superior over the other. More like two different approaches for big game revolver cartridge, with the 454 pushing moderate weight bullets at high velocities and the 480 pushing big heavy bullets at moderate velocities. Be hard to prove that one is any better than the other as far as taking down the largest game on tis continent.

As JBn mentioned, though, the 454 is more versatile in that you can shoot 45 Colt in it and, thus, you have many, many more options as far as factory ammo. 45 Colt, aside, it is still easier to find factory 454 ammo than factory 480 ammo, though you really should reload both, anyway.

As for shooting, a hot 454 load is a nasty, sharp and very loud kicker. It operates at much higher pressures than the 480. By comparison, the 480 is more of a big hard whump in the hand. Nothing wimpy about it, but it doesn't have quite that nasty, sharp concussion of a full power 454 load.

By the way, I do plan to add a 480 to the collection, too. Just something about sending a huge 400 grain plus bullet down range ...

·
Registered
949 Posts
I wouldn't look at it as one being superior over the other. More like two different approaches for big game revolver cartridge, with the 454 pushing moderate weight bullets at high velocities and the 480 pushing big heavy bullets at moderate velocities. Be hard to prove that one is any better than the other as far as taking down the largest game on tis continent.

As JBn mentioned, though, the 454 is more versatile in that you can shoot 45 Colt in it and, thus, you have many, many more options as far as factory ammo. 45 Colt, aside, it is still easier to find factory 454 ammo than factory 480 ammo, though you really should reload both, anyway.

As for shooting, a hot 454 load is a nasty, sharp and very loud kicker. It operates at much higher pressures than the 480. By comparison, the 480 is more of a big hard whump in the hand. Nothing wimpy about it, but it doesn't have quite that nasty, sharp concussion of a full power 454 load.

By the way, I do plan to add a 480 to the collection, too. Just something about sending a huge 400 grain plus bullet down range ...
Well said and the last sentence sums up my choosing the .480

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I hope to get the 454 after Christmas, I'll load midrange 454 and keep my nerves in check deer don't care if the round is max or not.

·
Banned
308 Posts
I hope to get the 454 after Christmas, I'll load midrange 454 and keep my nerves in check deer don't care if the round is max or not.
Right on not wanting or needing a full boat all the time in a .454 Ca. I handload some really nice comfortable rounds with 4227, that are very fun to shoot without the pain of a H110 "work" load. And for sheer fun, don't pass up
a heavy projectile over a case full of Trailboss. Quite mild, lots of lead going downrange.

Hodgdon's site shows a 420 grain projectile over max 5 grains of Trailbaoss (it's very light and fills a case with little weight) for a whalloping 597 fps. Good for bowling pins no doubt.

My book shows .480 loads up to 420 grain projectiles, while .454 Ca shows up to 395 grain.

11-11-1918
The eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month.
Peace through strength

Both those would be outside my hand comfort range I would imagine. When I want or might need more than 400 grains, I break out the .45-70

1 - 20 of 40 Posts