Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
I've looked a lot of guns on there, they have great specs, but have not bought through them. I've typically been able to find better prices elsewhere. But they are not bad.

My last purchase was via Bud's, they are reputable and had the best overall cost to me.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Davidsons is the only place I get my guns from. Between them and my receiving dealer I see no need to try any other way of buying guns.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've looked a lot of guns on there, they have great specs, but have not bought through them. I've typically been able to find better prices elsewhere. But they are not bad.

My last purchase was via Bud's, they are reputable and had the best overall cost to me.

There is no FFL transfer with Davidsons. Would it still be cheaper then? If so, I envy your LGS prices!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when I had my shop I didn't buy much from Davidsons as they were one of the highest wholesalers, their ship fees awere more too. When I compare their prices(you get quotes from local dealers) run close to prices on instock, similar items. Advantages are your local shop cant stock everything so you have a wider selection readily available. The local shop likes the system, they make a quick profit onnd have no down time on their money. You can often find a gun before they even hit the retail market. like my CZ. They generally have a good selection of Ruger stuff.

·
Registered
563 Posts
There is no FFL transfer with Davidsons. Would it still be cheaper then? If so, I envy your LGS prices!
No, Bud's is not a LGS. My FFL charges $10 to transfer the firearm to me. Davidson's has good prices but they're in NV, it would add quite a bit to my costs to go there to pick it up.

Bud's didn't charge me tax, shipping, or FFL, so it was the price of the gun plus $10 for my local FFL.

I can't compare prices on what I just bought because both Bud's and Davidson's are out of stock. But Bud's last price on the Browning Maxus 011609303 was $1,229.00, Davidson's is $1,301.95.

I just looked for something in common on both sites, the Ruger SR45 3801. Buds is $411.00, Davidson's is $433.95. Maybe I'm missing something but I just add $10 to Bud's price (for my FFL fee) and that's what I pay.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I will say that I bought my Ruger SR9c from a local reseller, he did charge me $25 FFL but the price of the gun was $385 - a lot less than others. It did come from Davidson's. Right now, Davidson's list that gun for $423. They MUST sell to resellers for a lot less.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Davidson's gallery lists the MSRP, manufactor's suggested retail price, you have to check your local dealers that are members of Davidson's network for the actual price. You do this by typing in your zip code and click on price check in the gallery after selecting the firearm you want. In my area there is a good difference in price among the 6 dealers in my area ranging from 30-50 bucks difference on a 600 dollar gun.

I have purchased 2 firearms in the past year from Davidson's and it was a good fair business deal in my opinion. I was able to find those 2 firearms at Davidson's when none of my local gun dealers had one in stock. took 3 days for the guns to be shipped to the local dealer I chose based on price and distance from my home. Their added warranty is a big plus also if you receive a lemon or one that needs repair. If the manufactor will not give you good customer service, you may have Davidson's warranty to fall back on.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I will say that I bought my Ruger SR9c from a local reseller, he did charge me $25 FFL but the price of the gun was $385 - a lot less than others. It did come from Davidson's. Right now, Davidson's list that gun for $423. They MUST sell to resellers for a lot less.
ironic. this is my exact situation here. bought sr9c through local shop, came from davidsons, davidsons sells for more than i paid.

·
Banned
317 Posts
Gallery of Guns is good on finding what you want but the prices are higher than the local gun shops.
You are buying the gun on the internet but still paying taxes on it??????

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
ironic. this is my exact situation here. bought sr9c through local shop, came from davidsons, davidsons sells for more than i paid.
The MSRP is not what you pay at Davidsons. It's up the participating/recieving dealer in your area at the final price.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i was talking about their "instant quote" feature that shows the dealers in your area.

my particular dealer was not listed and the others in the area were more expensive.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,561 Posts
I increase the dealer search to 50 miles and find some great prices. A pawnshop/LGS about 45 miles away undercuts prices by hundreds of dollars. I have bought several guns through Gun Genie.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Davidson's is a distributor and one of Ruger's largest. The Gun Genie is the retail side of their business that works in conjunction with local dealers but Davidson's also provides dealers with inventory in the more conventional way. Obviously the dealer cost is less than the retail pricing through Gun Genie and local dealers usually have to collect sales tax as the sale is finalized at the local level. My experience has been I can usually find a better deal on GunBroker but Davidon's is still worth a comparison/price check. For the past year so much of Davidson's inventory is earmarked "Allocated" which translates to "not available" - even dealers have trouble getting allocated items from Davidson's.

Davidson's lifetime warranty is a plus and I used it once. I bought an LCR that was a Davidson's gun and had an issue that I'm sure Ruger CS would have been able to help me with. But my LGS looked at it, called Davidson's and I had a replacement in my hands 24 hours later. No phone calls, shipping label, 2 week turn around, etc. I was impressed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.