Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a LC9s Pro with an awesome trigger. Yes, the best trigger of ANY passive striker-fired pistol, ever. There, I said it! And when you have a pistol with a trigger that outshines the Kahr, the Boberg, the Rohrbaugh, and other triggers, what do you do?

You order up a new Galloway Precision trigger bar, that's what! :p

It just takes a couple minutes to install the new trigger bar, and the results are obvious. The overall travel is much less and doesn't affect the travel distance of the striker itself! This is a good thing.

What you'll see is the trigger's initial takeup, or pre-travel, is a shorter stroke, while the pull distance travel, the distance from the 'wall' to the 'break' is the same (or at least very similar in distance).

The advantage to this? The perceived trigger pull is shorter, when in fact it's not, it's simply further forward without changing the initial set point, or the 'at rest' position. Why does this matter? Well, the overall pull, or total 'pull' covers less distance, meaning you'll get off faster follow-up shots. What it also means is that your accuracy can improve because of less overall travel distance, and less chance to jerk the trigger during rapid fire.

The results are awesome.

Is this for everyone? Maybe not. If you have the "Pro" model (no external safety), the shorter overall travel may concern you. In fact, you're only reducing the take-up distance to the "wall" and subsequently the overall travel distance. Look at the image diagram to get a pretty good visual of the difference. I thought about it, but decided quickly that there's no real difference, except for that initial slack, or "takeup." The difference is actually the pressure of the trigger return spring, which is pretty mild. The actual pull distance of the striker pin to fire, is the same.

What do I like best about this mod? The fact that the striker breaks sooner in the overall travel (further forward). Not that the stock trigger is a problem. I really do not like triggers on small guns or pockets guns take break nearly at the frame. That, to me, is just too far back and changes the angle of your finger by the time it breaks. Hence, less accuracy, and to me just doesn't feel good.

Enjoy, and remember what opinions are like, so your mileage may vary. This is just my two-bits. :)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
For a self defense gun I would not want the trigger to be any sweeter than it already is. Under pressure one doesn't want the trigger to be too much like a target gun. One study found that law officers were pulling the trigger even when they denied doing it in a stressful role play with a gun that only recorded trigger pulls. Just my .02.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let's see if I can explain it any better. This mod does not affect the 'actual' trigger pull. The engagement of the sear to the striker tab is the same, and the pull distance is the same before the striker releases from the sear.

Look at the right two blues compared to the right two reds. They're actually the same travel distance, or pull. The first two reds (or blues) on the left is the trigger slack, or take-up, where there's minimal resistance from the return spring.

So what this mod does is shift the trigger-pull 'active area' further forward, which results in reducing the initial take-up. There's no change in spring resistance, travel, pull weight, or the trigger's position at rest.

So what's the big deal? Two things I can see. If you have big hands or longer fingers the working area is further forward (although the stock is awesome as it breaks way before reaching the frame), and the second is as mentioned before, that during rapid fire your follow up shots are faster, with less potential to jerk the trigger. Try something like a Kahr P380 to see how your finger feels like it's trying to make a fist because of the very short reach.

So that's it. Nothing at all wrong with the stock trigger and it has to be the best striker fired trigger out there. This mod is simply a way to customize the feel for personal preferences. It certainly is nothing similar to a mods(s) that would lighten the trigger pull, or the actual pull distance from the "wall" to the "break."

:):)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
smokemup,
You are correct but any alteration to a personnel defense gun is really not the best idea. Others may say different but any change at all could be detrimental in the courts. trigger pull maybe the same as for spring pressure but the trigger does not travel the same distance as a stock trigger.
It is always to you're benefit if you do not alter you're carrying or self defense guns. Great write up and would be great for range work but most of us will stay away from these kind of changes to the fire control mechanisms.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Thanks for posting the picture, and adding the text boxes and lines showing the difference. My son and I recently been discussing the new LC9s for his CC. Great article!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I decided to get one of the GP trigger bars for my LC9s. Makes a fantastic trigger even better. I didn't measure the difference between the before and after, but my results mirror those of "smokemup". Significantly reduces the pre-travel without affecting any other operation of the trigger. Overall a really nice and relatively simple modification to accomplish.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's an update on the hoplophobia mod. I'm still lovin' it! Most notably for me is the improved accuracy during double taps, or rapid fire. Slow fire accuracy during target shooting isn't impacted, since either way I'm removing the takeup first, then easing the trigger back until it breaks. And, mod bar or not, it's the finest striker action out there. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the info, especially the pic. Another option for those that choose to use it.

Please keep us up to date on the mod.

Cheers,

MrHix

·
Registered
70 Posts
Anyone else who ordered one get this (included a PDF return label):

"We have some bad news about the LC9s trigger bar you purchased from us
within the last month. We have found that the Ruger LC9s model has some
tolerance issues from the factory. This affects some LC9s models and can
cause reset issues when installed. Because of this issue, we need to
recall all LC9s trigger bars sold for safety reasons. I have attached a
prepaid return label for you to send the trigger bar back to us. Once
received, we will credit your purchase price, any sales tax (if
applicable) and your order shipping and handling fee promptly.
We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and please let us
know if you have any questions.
Thanks
--
Jaime
Galloway Precision"

I guess I will reluctantly return mine to Galloway.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just received the notice myself. Bummer! Now that a recall is 'out there' it's probably not a good idea, in legal terms, to keep it since lawyers will be all up in your stuff if you ever had to use the gun...

Mine has been flawless and it's going to be tough for me to give it up! :(:(:(

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just sent mine back as it made my LC9S "full auto" or what GP called a slam fire issue. I unloaded mags in 1 trigger pull constantly no matter who shot it, it was fun but not for an EDC & there's no data on how long the pistol can handle it. I wavered on keeping it but it would only be for occasional fun & I agree, now that there's a recall, legally it would be unwise to keep it installed or used publicly.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just sent mine back as it made my LC9S "full auto" or what GP called a slam fire issue. I unloaded mags in 1 trigger pull constantly no matter who shot it, it was fun but not for an EDC & there's no data on how long the pistol can handle it. I wavered on keeping it but it would only be for occasional fun & I agree, now that there's a recall, legally it would be unwise to keep it installed or used publicly.
Holy crap -full auto. Took mine to the range earlier today - just went "click" with no bang. Jeeze, what a problem for Galloway. Very happy they're on top of the recall.
I plan on just keeping mine stock now, since it already had a great trigger.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm regretting sending it back, I should have kept 1 for the back 40, I had been sent a replacement so I could mic them both then test to see if the 1st was just off a little, but the whole batch was spec'd the same. The problem now is it might take a very long time before we see a revision.
My only complaint with the gun is the semi long reset(which is not long at all for a CCW), any shorter and this would be on par with the high end mid to full size pistols, GP still has the quick sear set listed as "coming soon".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts