Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I occasionally find interesting things at local garage sales. Recently I have picked up two very cool Bowie knives.
One is a folding Bowie with a swiveling brass crossguard. It is unmarked and just over 11" unfolded.
The other is close to 15" and has an antler hilt. It is 1.75" at the widest point of the blade, The only marking is the name "Oilar". It appears to be very well made.
I'm just showing them off, but if anyone knows anything more about either of these I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Great finds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have two Harley Oilar knives, both skinners. I met Harley in the early 70's. I purchased my knives from him at a gun show. He lived in Burney CA. but, He's no longer with us

Looks like yours are early examples

·
One Star
10,416 Posts
Old post,but still a nice fine and collection of knives.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
If these old knives could just talk. Wonder where they have been, who used them, and what they have done?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Garage sales, estate sales, and auctions can be addictive. I have found some excellent buys from time to time. I keep hoping for that day I get lucky and make a really great score.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I remember watching Antiques Roadshow where a youngster (10-11 years old) had a Samurai sword that had bought at a garage sale for $5.00.
The expert pulled off the handle uncovering writing that was partially missing. The blade had been cut down from mounted use to be used on the ground by an officer.
It was several hundred years old and estimated to be worth $25,000 or thereabouts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Several years ago I was taken garage sale shopping by my wife. At one location there was a knife that had been used to stir latex paint and the blade was completely covered to the point that the shape of the blade could not be determined. The hilt had a strong metal cap and leather washer disks. These looked good and I thought that there might be a decent blade under the latex paint so I paid the marked $1.00. When I got it home I cleaned the paint off the blade and found that it is a Cattrengus (sp) 2250 which is now called a "Quartermasters Knife". It takes and holds a very sharp edge and the knife dates to WWII. Only "find" I ever got at a yard sale.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts