Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some tests trying different gas block screw torques on both of my Mini-30s a couple weeks a go.
Advice to Mini owners has always been to set a torque of from around 28 to 32 inch pounds.
I had the best accuracy with two different factory loads in both carbines, at the lighter torque values, 25 to 30.
Above that, accuracy was much worse. So don't over torque your gas block screws !
It's certainly possible that other Minis, or other brands of ammo might have slightly different results, but I'd bet that, in general, the lighter (25 to 30 in. lb. ) values will prove to give better groups than the Gorilla tight (35 to 40 or more) torque values.

Here are the tests I posted on perfect union forum, in case some of you don't visit there.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,106 Posts
Great info sandog, thanks for posting your results.

Reactions: sandog and brnwlms

·
"The Real Deal"
7,106 Posts
Interesting, I think I might re-torque my block tonight just for the heck of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Might do mine tomorrow, well 2 out of 3. I need to install the asi gas bushings i bought several years ago, but never got around to installing.

Reactions: sandog and brnwlms

·
Registered
371 Posts
Thanks for your tests and for posting 'dog'. I'll have to consider when I get some different gas bushings to install. Interesting.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have always set mine at 30" lb torque. I also use Vibra Tight on the screws, not locktite. Even over tightening will cause extra stress on gas block by cracking. Doesn't happen a lot but it does. Also Ruger factory screws get replaced as they are not the highest quality IMO. BTW if you need new Stainless screws on the cheap let me know.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have always set mine at 30" lb torque. I also use Vibra Tight on the screws, not locktite. Even over tightening will cause extra stress on gas block by cracking. Doesn't happen a lot but it does. Also Ruger factory screws get replaced as they are not the highest quality IMO. BTW if you need new Stainless screws on the cheap let me know.
Not familiar with 'Vibra Tight'---how does it differ from 'lock-tight'? Have never seen it in my area--course haven't been looking either-always just grabbed another tube of purple or blue LT when needed.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,106 Posts
Hey flexbar rocksett is good to, is heat resistant. I used it on the harmonic damper on my mini 14 target to keep it from moving. Its also used on ar platform gas key screws in addition to it being staked, it doesnt come loose, great product.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Not familiar with 'Vibra Tight'---how does it differ from 'lock-tight'? Have never seen it in my area--course haven't been looking either-always just grabbed another tube of purple or blue LT when needed.
Day and night better than loctite. It stays pliable so it doesn't back out and bugger the screw heads that you will need to replace them if your allen screw/torque are worn. Just a little heat soften them up to unscrew. My son uses them on their high end Hass CNC machines.
D1594376-0143-4785-8E95-DAA85BC348C5.jpeg

·
Registered
9 Posts
According to the Vibra-Tite website the Operational temperature range is -65˚F to 165˚F (-54˚C to 74˚C). Would that be within the normal range for the gas block?

·
"The Real Deal"
7,106 Posts
According to the Vibra-Tite website the Operational temperature range is -65˚F to 165˚F (-54˚C to 74˚C). Would that be within the normal range for the gas block?
Rocksett goes to 2000F, and can be removed by warm water soak.

Reactions: Phish

·
Registered
542 Posts
Deltapapa I never had an issue yet but I don't do mag dumps. I used to race mountain bike back in the early 90's and screws come loose is a daily pain as these bolts/screws were expensive and made out of titanium but once I started using Vibra tite the issues stopped altogether.

Tacky that Flexbar Rocksett is good stuff as we used that on glass Acid piping system. Haven't seen it anywhere tho.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Day and night better than loctite. It stays pliable so it doesn't back out and bugger the screw heads that you will need to replace them if your allen screw/torque are worn. Just a little heat soften them up to unscrew. My son uses them on their high end Hass CNC machines.
View attachment 147586
Thank you--have never seen it in my area, course, wasn't looking either. Have to check a few of the specialty businesses in my area or on-line. I could use it for other applications besides guns.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I should get an appropriate torque screw/bit driver. The Wheeler FAT looks good. Any comments or other suggestions?

·
"The Real Deal"
7,106 Posts
I should get an appropriate torque screw/bit driver. The Wheeler FAT looks good. Any comments or other suggestions?
Had a friend with one, it broke after a little use. i use a 1/4 torque wrench and have a 1/2 i use at times the 1/4 is inch pounds, the 1/2 is ft lbs.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I looked at alternatives to the Wheeler Fat Wrench and ended up buying the Autlead, it was $36 from Amazon.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
I'm happy with my FAT, worked great for a bunch of scope installs and still going strong.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts