Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,819 Posts
I’ve told this story here before but it’s relevant so I’ll tell it again. I have a Ruger eagle hitch insert that I used to keep in the receiver on my truck. A few years ago I was getting out of the truck to go into a store and a guy I recognized but didn’t really know said something to me about my truck but I couldn’t quite make out what he was saying. But I could tell it was a compliment so I smiled and said something like “Yeah man!” and gave him a thumbs up. A few minutes later it registered what he was talking about - the Ruger emblem on my bumper and the word “Reichstag”. Great. He mistook it for at least a German symbol but more likely thought it was a Nazi symbol and that I was a fellow white supremacist. And I had even said something indicating my acknowledgment of his comment and a big thumbs up at the time. After that I sometimes wondered if other people who knew nothing about guns thought my Ruger eagle was a neo-Nazi thing.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Friend of mine had an NRA sticker on his car. He was out of town with his wife shopping in a known anti gun locale a couple years ago. When he was driving home he noticed something next to the NRA sticker on his window. When he stopped to look someone had stuck a similar sized "peace" symbol sticker next to it. He had a good laugh and left it. Still there....

·
"The Real Deal"
6,570 Posts
Friend of mine had an NRA sticker on his car. He was out of town with his wife shopping in a known anti gun locale a couple years ago. When he was driving home he noticed something next to the NRA sticker on his window. When he stopped to look someone had stuck a similar sized "peace" symbol sticker next to it. He had a good laugh and left it. Still there....
Kinda reminds me of joker in full metal jacket with his helnet wording and the peace sign on his uniform.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,570 Posts
I’ve told this story here before but it’s relevant so I’ll tell it again. I have a Ruger eagle hitch insert that I used to keep in the receiver on my truck. A few years ago I was getting out of the truck to go into a store and a guy I recognized but didn’t really know said something to me about my truck but I couldn’t quite make out what he was saying. But I could tell it was a compliment so I smiled and said something like “Yeah man!” and gave him a thumbs up. A few minutes later it registered what he was talking about - the Ruger emblem on my bumper and the word “Reichstag”. Great. He mistook it for at least a German symbol but more likely thought it was a Nazi symbol and that I was a fellow white supremacist. And I had even said something indicating my acknowledgment of his comment and a big thumbs up at the time. After that I sometimes wondered if other people who knew nothing about guns thought my Ruger eagle was a neo-Nazi thing.
Thats the first i have heard the ruger symbol being similiar to neo nazis, thats obsurd.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
No stickers as where used to work every truck that had NRA or gun sticker was broken into by drilling out lock. All had guns stollen. I carried mine in with me even though sidns forbidding weapons everywhere. Here, the sign means no prosecution. So I will carry and at least have it if needed. As far as shirts, I used to wear them buthad a fellow carrier start talking and showing me his. My response was if anyone sees you are carrying and wants to do a crime you are prime target. He agreed. After a little thought no more shirts. I will wear the shirts to shooting competitions but just want to be a surprise toany idiot wanting to do evil to me or loved ones.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,581 Posts
I have heard before that people thought the Ruger symbol was a "East German" military insignia and or a Nazi symbol as well many years ago. Like Waveform hinted at you never know what some people are thinking or view you at first glance. Shows lack of knowledge about the red eagle(Ruger). Since my NRA emblem got scratched off the truck in the 80's I no longer have it on our vehicles just to keep those ignorant away from wife and family.
*I still have a Ruger symbol on my SUV today. The plain white T-shirt with the red eagle is the only thing I have shooting related anymore. This thread made me think about this issue again. Still wearing my T-shirt.
*I like the location of rmichael63's emblem in that pic.
*jeepnut711 does raise a valid point. There are many nut jobs out there and it is important to protect the ones you love.
PEACE FAVOR YOUR SWORD!

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I have no stickers or anything to identify my truck. There are no stickers, no license plate borders, no fancy paint, nothing. OP, I am glad it worked out well for you. I have nothing just because for whatever reason (and no, I don’t think I drive like a jack nob, I usually have at least one of my boys with me) I just don’t want my truck identifiable by description other than the rear plate. I usually have a gun on me and usually a truck gun. But I want to share a story from a couple years ago.

In my previous job, I worked for a tier one auto supplier. We had our corporate headquarters in Southfield, Michigan (Detroit/Ann Arbor area). Once a quarter I had to travel for a leadership conference for a couple days and they always had some kind of entertainment in the evenings to keep us occupied after sitting in a conference room for hours and hours on end. Anyway, one of our evenings, we went to a Detroit tigers baseball game. We all carpooled and I rode with one of the plant managers. I big deal. His Cadillac parks at large sporting events better than my F250. Well, he is a glock fanboy. No judgement, they make a fine gun and I own a handful of them. He has a full size glock sticker that takes up the whole back window of his car. Fast forward to the end of the game. Those of us who rode with him, we all wander back to his car. Of course it’s one of the keyless fancy things. Button start, walk up to it and it automatically unlocks, walk away and it locks kind of fancy nonsense. Well we get to the car and nothing works. He was able to unlock and get us in, but the car was locked down electronically. Called some people, talked to some connections and we got everything re-synced. Moral of the story is that the car locked down due to too many incorrect attempts to access. Theory is that there’s tried to spoof his car, which is a thing people do with cell phones. Probably targeted due to the glock sticker. Sporting event, gun free zone. Car with gun sticker? Well, if he has a gun he isn’t carrying in the game so it must be in his car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Who you are and what you do is a part of us. And most of us learned by example to show that to others by our actions and by some sort of signage. Growing up from age 12 to 21, I was a car guy because my Dad owned 5 NAPA stores in south central Oklahoma. I never met a car or truck I did not like and I fiddled with every one I owned (and own even today) to "make them run better or look better". From aftermarket intake manifolds to dual exhausts, there was almost nothing I did not try. And I had Hooker Headers and Holley decals on my vehicles. The "Ford Eater" tag on the front of my 1964 Impala was the one that caused me the most trouble, but I never lost a drag to a Ford. HA! As time passed and I grew from hunting dove and quail to ducks and then to deer, mule deer and elk, my "signage" changed. I had a Business Administration degree with 35 hours of accounting and a math minor and my first job after graduating was with an accounting firm where I mostly audited hospitals, school districts, nursing homes, a couple of banks and construction companies and anything else I was assigned to. I drove Grand Prix, Cutlass Supreme and Mote Carlo automobiles on the job and as a family car, and Chevy trucks for hunting and fishing. In every truck I had a back window rifle rack for my rifles and shotguns but normally during the days, I carried a four foot long dried bull penis. After five years as an accountant I was losing my hair, had a ulcer and was tired of that life, so I got a job as plant manager of a packing plant. I learned to do every single job in the plant from killing cattle and swine to selling them out the door. It was there that I established the habit of having a bull dick to move cattle and hogs and to swat dogs and cats out of the way. But that was 40 years ago. It said as well as anything that I was into hunting and fishing and to leave me alone. Sure can't do that any more, can we? The last thirty years of work were in healthcare as a hospital CFO first and then as a CEO for the last thirty years of work so no kind of signage was appropriate anymore. But since I retired in 2009, I do what I want to. I wear a few ammo and Ruger tee shirts as well the occasional Corvette, Camaro and Silveerado ones. Nothing on the vehicles, though, but I do have Chickasaw tags on them and a Chickasaw Warrior Society (given only to members of the Chickasaw Nation who served in the military) sticker on my truck. At my age, I don't hunt any more although I still like to shoot. I'd just as soon no one knew I even had a gun or that I could use one. I have enough firearms and ammo to last the rest of my life, but I still have to fight myself not to buy more arms and ammo. It would take a while to expend what I ammo I have and it makes no sense that I want more, but I do. And the only stickers I have now are plastered all over the tops of my two laptops. I see them every day and smile. My wife ignores them as she does my fiearms. But my signs remind me every day who and what I am.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,581 Posts
Some things sound so familiar in that post Nashoba Losa. Very similar with different venues and facts. My signs too remind me of who and what I have become. My wife ignores some of my signs but we have become much closer after loosing our son in 2015 at 22yrs of age. The "Memorial Holiday" has taken on a much deeper frame of mind for us and we are moving on but not forgetting what we had and who we are!
*Have a great day and keep your powder dry!

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Some things sound so familiar in that post Nashoba Losa. Very similar with different venues and facts. My signs too remind me of who and what I have become. My wife ignores some of my signs but we have become much closer after loosing our son in 2015 at 22yrs of age. The "Memorial Holiday" has taken on a much deeper frame of mind for us and we are moving on but not forgetting what we had and who we are!
*Have a great day and keep your powder dry!
Mr Clark, a heartfelt sorry for your loss. Not sure of the circumstances but my condolences to a young life lost.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
After years of working in the Washington DC/Northern Virginia area I learned not put stickers on my car. Having to park in garages and other lots it is an invite for having you car broken into by thieves hoping to find a gun. Also parked cars with a visible garage door opener were targeted. They would enter car and look for your registration card or anything with your address. Thieves know that a garage door opener remote is basically a key into your home.
Glad to be retired and far away from that mess.

·
Exchequer
4,435 Posts
The sticker is pretty subtle ... View attachment 143815
Indeed it is. My first thought was that it was the large, white decal. 'Course the NRA sticker leaves little doubt as to your affiliations. I must admit that when I see vehicles with the NRA sticker, I make the (probably correct) assumption that the person driving is packing a gat.

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
As much as I'd like to display my various gun related stickers on my vehicles...I must agree with other that it could invite the bad to come out in some people. Now a t-shirt is a different story. I wouldn't hesitate to wear the t-shirt that hlg spoke of.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I am of the no-sticker camp. I will wear firearm related clothing, but usually only to the range. I just don’t like to bring attention to myself, good or bad.

·
VRWC Charter Member
2,001 Posts
I am of the no-sticker camp. I will wear firearm related clothing, but usually only to the range. I just don’t like to bring attention to myself, good or bad.
Agreed.
I prefer to fade into the background, myself.

Reactions: rickf

·
Registered
73 Posts
I display my NRA decal on the back window of my truck. The anti-gunners seem to be doing a good job of intimidating us to the point that we hide our firearms affiliation from public view.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I display my NRA decal on the back window of my truck. The anti-gunners seem to be doing a good job of intimidating us to the point that we hide our firearms affiliation from public view.
Every vehicle i have ever owned gets the NRA sticker at it's earliest convenience ...

·
Premium Member
13,894 Posts
The gun safe gets all the stickers and the truck gets none. There is a small Illinois State Rifle Association sticker on the back windshield and that is it. I do not advertise the fact I am a firearm enthusiast or reloading aficionado but don't hide it either. I love shooting and reloading and follow all laws whether I like them or not. Also love fishing and pull a large bass boat to lots of places. I can not believe some of the responses I have received when asked about shooting or fishing from the 'other side'. Borders from animal hater to killer........I also happen to love God and my family....especially the grandbabies and Jesus. Guess the older I get the less I care what other people think. The Golden Rule is my motto and I try to act by that constantly.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I understand this sentiment but for me, it’s not about hiding. I wear firearms related clothing all the time. It’s about not making my vehicle a target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 80 Posts