Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

A few months ago I found this 4" GP100 in a pawn shop, dirty and tired-looking with a shabby, worn Hogue rubber grip. Bought it, took it apart and gave it a long hot soak in an ultrasonic cleaner, cleaned up the trigger group, put in a new set of Wolff springs, a new wood Hogue grip and a new Hi-Viz front sight. Polished it up a bit with some Mothers Mag to remove the few scuffs in the SS.

The trigger felt great but I never took it to the range to fire it. It looked like new and I wasn't in any hurry to get it dirty again.

Yesterday I gave it away. Not "sold it cheap" gave it away but literally just handed it over. The new owner is a retired guy in his mid-70s who loves guns and has a few Rugers but didn't own a GP100. Being retired and on a fixed income there isn't a lot extra money laying around to just go out and buy a gun and I knew he's always wanted one of these. He's had some unexpected surgery recently and was in the hospital for a few days but he's doing much better now. The new GP100 really made his day. We took it to the range and and shot a mixture of .38 and .357 and it lived up to his expectations and mine. A real sweet shooter.

I've known this man a very long time and I can't think of anyone I would rather see have my 4" GP100. He's a pretty great guy.

He's also my Dad.

Wave

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

A few months ago I found this 4" GP100 in a pawn shop, dirty and tired-looking with a shabby, worn Hogue rubber grip. Bought it, took it apart and gave it a long hot soak in an ultrasonic cleaner, cleaned up the trigger group, put in a new set of Wolff springs, a new wood Hogue grip and a new Hi-Viz front sight. Polished it up a bit with some Mothers Mag to remove the few scuffs in the SS.

The trigger felt great but I never took it to the range to fire it. It looked like new and I wasn't in any hurry to get it dirty again.

Yesterday I gave it away. Not "sold it cheap" gave it away but literally just handed it over. The new owner is a retired guy in his mid-70s who loves guns and has a few Rugers but didn't own a GP100. Being retired and on a fixed income there isn't a lot extra money laying around to just go out and buy a gun and I knew he's always wanted one of these. He's had some unexpected surgery recently and was in the hospital for a few days but he's doing much better now. The new GP100 really made his day. We took it to the range and and shot a mixture of .38 and .357 and it lived up to his expectations and mine. A real sweet shooter.

I've known this man a very long time and I can't think of anyone I would rather see have my 4" GP100. He's a pretty great guy.

He's also my Dad.

Wave
Aw shucks... you'll probably be gettin' her back again anyhow someday. :D

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Good for you!!!! I know you made that man's day. I'm sure it's a toss up as to who will enjoy it the most!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Cherish those moments while you can.
You just brought back some memories of my dad....
No... that's not a tear in my eye, just a little dust.

You're not such a bad guy after all. ;)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Good deal guy! I know he's proud of you and the gun in that order.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Good for you! That had to feel good to say "Here dad, it's yours".

And I know how precious life is after unexpected major surgery... been there done that this year myself.

I wish my dad was still around so I could do something nice for him.

·
Registered
818 Posts
That was a wonderful thing to do for your dad! You will always enjoy remembering the "smile" on his face from giving him your nice GP100! This reflects on what a good person you are, Wave! I am proud of you!

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Good for you mate, you're obviously a reflection from your Dad.
Our regards to your Dad and hope he's feeling better.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Enjoy the time you have it with your parents, it passes away do fast and then all we have are memories. Nice present, I am sure you made his day.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Not just a great revolver, but you put time, effort and love into it. And then gave it someone you love. Ruger owners are a family. Nice.

·
RFN Silver Lion
281 Posts
your a Good Man, Wave. :D

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
Nice work, Wave.
As nice as that GP is, and as much work as you did on it to bring it back to life, the best part of that story is the relationship you have with your dad. That's one of the best stories I've heard in a long time. I'm sure your dad is much more impressed with the person you've become than any material possession you could ever give him.
Well played, sir. Well played indeed!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Very nice...

Did the same for my Dad back in the early 90's with a Smith 686...Knew I'd get it back some day...

Sadly, I have been hunting with it for 3 years now...

Cherish him while you've got him...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts