Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my first gun, KP95DPR. I've shot it twice now and have already ran into a few problems. I've been shooting only a handful of times and always with shotguns, so I'm a little lost when it comes to this Ruger [:p]

(I may often use the word "thing" to indicate any part, usually a small part, that I do not know the name of, which will be just about everything except for: Slide, Hammer, Barrel, Trigger, and Decocker.) :D

First off, a few questions I'm not sure about:
1.) Warranty - What kind of Warranty does this gun come with (I had it special ordered at the local gun store, brand new.) And is there a form that should be filled out and sent in?
2.) Oil - What's a good oil to use for this pistol? Anything specific?
3.) Magazine - Is there a trick to fully disassemble the magazine? I got the plastic bottom off but can't seem to get any further, is there a trick I'm not picking up on?
4.) Decocker - I've noticed that when pulling the trigger with the safety/decocker on, the *thing* (what looks to be part# KV01703 in the manual) that moves with the trigger gets stuck in between the decocker and, what I would consider, the slide. It's almost as if the decocker is loose. When I hold the decocker in tight it performs as it should, and makes a nice, crisp, reassuring *CLICK* which puts my mind at ease. Is there a quick fix for this?

Those are just a few quick questions I had, My main issue as of right now is that I've gotten quite a few mis feeds. Here are my range reports:

AMMUNITION --- RELOADS
FIRED QUANTITY --- APPROX. 100
MIS FEEDS/JAMS --- APPROX. 6 – 7
OTHER NOTES:
--- DIDN'T WANT TO CHAMBER ON NEW MAGAZINE (5-6 TIMES)
--- SMALL AMOUNT OF DUST GOT INTO THE MAGAZINES AND AMMO
--- SLIDE FAILED TO STAY OPEN ON LAST ROUND (1 TIME)

I had two other guys with me who have been around and shot guns of all types for many years. They said that since this was a brand new gun it probably just has "sharp edges", which I still don't fully understand, and that it might take a a couple hundred rounds to smooth out, and that the reloads that I bought isn't helping anything. On one occasion the slide wasn't stopped on the last round in the magazine, not sure why but it hasn't happened since. There was a very small amount of dust/dirt that got in the gun that day, it wasn't much but you could hear and feel a slight grinding noise when inserting magazines.

Here is the summary of the second time out, this time at the range:

RANGE --- HAPPY HOLLOW
TARGETS --- 9” x 9” / 3” BULLSEYE / 1” INCREMENTS
DISTANCE --- 10-25 YARDS
AMMUNITION --- REMINGTON UMC
FIRED QUANTITY --- 120
MIS FEEDS/JAMS --- APPROX. 5
OTHER NOTES:
--- DIDN'T WANT TO CHAMBER ON NEW MAGAZINE (1 TIME)
--- MAGAZINE DROPPED OUT ONCE WHILE RELOADING
--- HIT THE BULLSEYE FROM FURTHEST TARGET

This was a fun day after work. Me and a friend/co-worker who is a major gun enthusiast and active marine, found a range to go shoot our new guns (he bought a Springfield for CC the same day I bought mine.)
Anyways, while at the range I was seeing the same problems as I did the first time, just not as many. I'm thinking the whole "not wanting too chamber on a new magazine" thing might be my fault, so I'm not to worried about that. For some reason the magazine dropped out while shooting, I can't remember if it was when I just inserted a new one, or when I just got done firing a shot and it was reloading, either way it was unexpected and I'm pretty sure I didn't hit the mag release button. The best part of the day was when I saw the bullseye I hit on the deepest target on the pistol range, right on the X [^]. Even though he totally beat me hands down on overall accuracy, it was still the best shot of the day!

Well, sorry for the long post, but I'd appreciate any and all feedback. My main concern right now is probably with my decocker being loose and the mis feeds.

P.S. - Iowegan - I noticed you posted a book on "22 Ruger Standards." Do you have anything on the P95?

Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Welcome to the family!!! Great start with a great gun-sounds like you had a fine day at the range-no major problems and the pros here will help you with the glitches-we have several who know the P95 inside and out...I just wanta say great shootin'...lots of fun ahead, and remember what you're taught by your Marine friend and all here and one day you'll be the teacher-of your kids and grandkids...and pass the torch...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Welcome! FIrst I would try different ammo and see if you have the same problems. It may just be the reloads you are using. This way you can tell if it's the gun or the ammo.

Did you clean the gun before you took it to the range? You might have that factory lube affecting the action of the gun.

1.) Ruger doesn't have a written warranty but Ruger does have a reputation of fixing whatever is wrong. I've never had to find that out myself.

2.) For oil I use Breakfree CLP. It Cleans, Lubes and Preserves all in one. I also use a light film of stainless steel grease on the slide since my slide is stainless.

3.) I use a small punch to remove the plastic end on the mag then use the same punch and push down on the little metal piece that holds the spring in place. I push it in on the long side until the long side on the other side clears the detent on the mag. It should comeout after that. Just be careful because it will be spring loaded and will launch the spring out. To put it back together you have to push in on the long side until the other side clears and catches on the detent.

4.) I'm not sure what the problem is without looking at it to get the idea of what you are saying.

I have put over 1500 round through my KP95 and it has only had one hiccup. It eats any ammo I put in it and it shoots where I aim. So I know if my shots are off it's me and not the gun.

Enjoy your new P95 and I hope I've helped and your problems go away.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Try this:
1. Insert a loaded magazine.
2. Without touching the trigger, manually cycle the action by pulling the slide all the way to the rear and releasing it.
3. Repeat until the magazine is empty and the pistol is unloaded.

If you did not encounter any feeding problems, it is possible that the slide recoil spring is a little stronger than most. If this is the case, try using ammo with a heavier bullet--such as the Winchester 147 Gr. load. If this solves your ammo feeding problem, you can either continue to use the heavier bullets or install a reduced weight recoil spring.

Rugers are designed to be "heavy duty" pistols, and occasionally you'll find one that doesn't like the lighter ammo.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quote:Originally posted by OldNavy

Try this:
1. Insert a loaded magazine.
2. Without touching the trigger, manually cycle the action by pulling the slide all the way to the rear and releasing it.
3. Repeat until the magazine is empty and the pistol is unloaded.

If you did not encounter any feeding problems, it is possible that the slide recoil spring is a little stronger than most. If this is the case, try using ammo with a heavier bullet--such as the Winchester 147 Gr. load. If this solves your ammo feeding problem, you can either continue to use the heavier bullets or install a reduced weight recoil spring.
I did save 5 rounds from the range to help find the issue with the mis feeds. I have loaded the magazine with 5 rounds and manually cycled the action about 15 times (using the Remington UMC rounds.) It has performed nicely except for maybe once where it jammed.

quote:Originally posted by maverick7340

Welcome! FIrst I would try different ammo and see if you have the same problems. It may just be the reloads you are using. This way you can tell if it's the gun or the ammo.

Did you clean the gun before you took it to the range? You might have that factory lube affecting the action of the gun.

2.) For oil I use Breakfree CLP. It Cleans, Lubes and Preserves all in one. I also use a light film of stainless steel grease on the slide since my slide is stainless.
I tried some Remington UMC that a friend bought at bass pro, not sure how that compares to WWB, but that will be my next box of ammo. Speaking of, does anyone here know a good place to buy 9mm in bulk?

I didn't clean the gun before taking to the range, however, I did read the manual on how to disassemble and did so. It was a simple task and I'm pretty sure that it was all put back together correctly. I did notice a lot of yellowish grease/oil. After each time I've shot it I've gone home and cleaned and oiled it, both times with Rim Oil. Also, you mentioned using SS grease on the slide, if I don't coat the slide and frame with anything will it discolor or corrode any down the line, even if the gun has been kept in good condition?

Thanks for all the suggestions, hopefully I'll get all this figured out. One more thing, Is there a way to make the hammer easier to pull down one handed in DA? It seems like I've read a post somewhere that talked about changing a spring, but I can't remember what it was concerning.

Thanks again, Mark

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here is the cheapest 9mm ammo I can find.

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa...mmunition&start=0&selectedSKU=0326-02145-3509

Here is the SS grease I use. I buy this at Academy also.

http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/product.asp?prod=281532

The grease is to lube the slide rails. It helps keeps the slide lubed and stays on longer then just oil. No need to put it all over the slide. Since it is made of stainless steel it won't rust and the lube should also prevent any pitting that might happen as the slide heats up from use.

Since the frame is poly it is maintenance free. I like to use the Breakfree on it though to clean it and make it shine. It won't make it oily or slick either.

There is a product out there that isn't good for poly and will discolor it but since I only use Breakfree I can't remember what product it is.

I'm not sure why you need to pull the hammer down one handed anyway. The trigger is double action for the first shot then the slide going back cocks the hammer and makes it single action after that.

The spring you are thinking of is the trigger spring. Some have put a lighter sping in to give a lighter trigger pull.

What are you using as a cleaner? It sounds like you still have factory preservatives still in it if you are getting yellow grease/oil coming out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quote:Originally posted by maverick7340

I'm not sure why you need to pull the hammer down one handed anyway. The trigger is double action for the first shot then the slide going back cocks the hammer and makes it single action after that.

The spring you are thinking of is the trigger spring. Some have put a lighter spring in to give a lighter trigger pull.

What are you using as a cleaner? It sounds like you still have factory preservatives still in it if you are getting yellow grease/oil coming out.
Heh, sorry for the confusion. I find myself shooting 6 - 8 rounds and then stopping for whatever reason, and when I stop I put on the safety, thus decocking the hammer. When I start shooting again, I prefer an easier trigger pull even for that first shot. When I get more experienced hopefully it won't matter as much.

I haven't bought any cleaner yet, or oil for that matter. I just used what was available at the time. I can't remember what cleaner my friend had but he cleaned my barrel. I've already got rid of all the factor grease/preservatives (whatever that thick yellow stuff is.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts