Ruger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I recently posted a new thread about sighting in my Ruger Mini 14 .223. I just got a new scope for my .223. My scope I had on my Mini 14 is a nice Bushnell 3-9 x40. I told my son he could have this scope for his .270 Win it's a Remington Model 7400 semi auto. His current scope is a Tasco 3-9x 40 the Bushnell I gave him is a higher quality scope. Currently his gun is sighted in with 130 grain reloads 56 or 57 grains of H4831. I helped him sight his rifle in to hit 3 inches high at 100 yds his rifle surprisingly will group around 1-1/2 inchs or less at 100 yds which is good for a semi auto. Where it is so close to the deer hunt I am thinking he should just keep his current set up. But he told me today he wants to put his new scope on his rifle and get it sighted in. This last summer with all the fires we had here in Utah well there are not too many places to go out to sight his rifle in. I have sand bags and a portable table to use but not a gun vise. My thoughts are to try and go to the local shooting range to fine tune his rifle. I was told with my .223 Remington if I paced off 25 yds and get my rifle to hit 1/4 inch below the point of impact or the cross hash mark that I would be dead on at 100 yds. This is fine for my .223 my problem is my son is going to have to shoot his .270 I am recovering from shoulder surgeries and my .223 is the heaviest rifle I will shoot. I was hoping there was some way possible to duplicate my situation with my .223 at 25 yds to do close to the same with his .270 but I want to get his rifle to hit 3 inchs high at 100 yds! I was hoping we could have taken his rifle out 3 weeks ago! His rifle is right on like I said earlier with his current set up. Making me think just to wait and mount the newer scope after the deer hunt is over when we have more time. Any suggestions or thought much appreciated thanks in advance!:D

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Because of the limitations you listed, you would be wise to use the current setup for the upcoming deer hunt. You could use a ballistic calculator program to figure out the 25 yard setting, but that may not be on for a shot out to 250-300 yards. You would still need to sight in to make sure it is correct for your load.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I agree with hillbilly knifemaker use current set up. Just guessing a 25 yrd zero should put it on at 250yrd but I would want to check it and be sure before hunting.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I use a minimum/maximum sight in distance all the time and it does work - up to a point. I shoot at a minimum sight in distance so that I'm in the ballpark and on paper when I move out to the maximum distance. On something like a 270, a 25 yard zero will put you on about 3" high at 100 yards and dead on, again at about 275. However, depending entirely on that 25 yard zero would be a big mistake. It would be pure luck to be right on at the other end and, more often than not, there would be enough error to miss a deer. At the very least, get out and shoot and 100 yards. If you can't do that, I'd pass on the new scope until after hunting season.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts