·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just watching a piece on (of all places) TV talking about kids
and "young adults" who use their cell phone to listen to music. While
there is nothing "wrong" with listening to music that way, the way that
most of them do it is costing them their hearing. Specifically by using
the "ear buds", or in the ear speaker elements.

Let's be honest, most of us look at those "kids" and generally think,
at least to our selves, IDIOTS! The reason? LOUD! The piece had a
segment from one university that had an audiologist with a store dummy
that had a sound level meter installed. The person running it would ask
any of the people coming by if she could test the level of sound they
were listening to, by plugging the ear-bud into the dummy's "ears".
They found that over 90% of the tests they ran had noise levels from
90 to a whopping 110db. Remembering that OSHA says the maximum safe
sound level is 85db, and then only for a single digit number of hours
per day. Many of these kids were literally killing their hearing. They
also said that in testing done at that university (I don't remember
which one) they said that at least ten percent of the students had,
from perceptible to significant hearing loss. Most of those students
were less than twenty five!

They also had a gal there that, in the typical liberal way, was very
adamant in her pronouncements about not using ear buds. Turns out she
had ignored what her parents were saying about her music being too loud
for a prolonged period of time and now has significant hearing loss.
Something about too soon older and too late smart? Or just that because
her parents said it, they could not know anything? Oh well. Sad that she
had to learn the hard way. She is twenty four and has about a 50%
hearing loss, all from her cell phone.

I . . AM . . encouraged that at least some of the TV stations are
broadcasting information that can actually help some of our younger
people, even if it is too late. Sad that it can not be made required
watching for everyone that gets a cell phone.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
I've noticed that for many people in their 20's and 30's, their favorite word in conversation (after "dude" and "bro") is "what?". I have a small amount of hearing loss (from being too close to a landline explosion), but I still hear better than a lot of the younger doctors, nurses and technicians I work with.

Jim

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Completely lost my hearing in my right ear and partially in my left ear when I was 5. So yeah, I have a perfectly legit reason to listen to loud music. Also have built in hearing protection when I go shooting. ;)

I'm pretty sure there's far more deaf people from the 1970s who went to Led Zeppelin concerts than there are for the modern generation listening to Dragon Force on their phones and ear buds.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've lost about 70 % , left ear is the worst, I understand that is common for right handed shooters. Working in the steel industry all my life, I put through a claim through workmen's compensation up here in Canada as work related deafness. Luckily they accepted it and they pay the major chunk of $ 4G in hearing aids every 5 years with my medical through work getting the rest. Heck of it is, by the time you are aware of the loss, a substantial amount of damage has been done.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I'm have hearing loss from being too close to music amplifiers.
Selective deafness..... well that's another issue..... ;) :D

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I've noticed that for many people in their 20's and 30's, their favorite word in conversation (after "dude" and "bro") is "what?". I have a small amount of hearing loss (from being too close to a landline explosion), but I still hear better than a lot of the younger doctors, nurses and technicians I work with.

Jim
Wow - I'm glad I got rid of my landline and just have my cell phone. I had no idea they were that dangerous. Of course now it seems my cell phone will make me deaf. I'm screwed. Guess I'll just go shoot more. That seems safe.

When will Dr. dre come out with beats shooting muffs?

I think it's time to take my meds.....

·
Registered
6,336 Posts

Jim
Wow - I'm glad I got rid of my landline and just have my cell phone. I had no idea they were that dangerous. Of course now it seems my cell phone will make me deaf. I'm screwed. Guess I'll just go shoot more. That seems safe.

When will Dr. dre come out with beats shooting muffs?

I think it's time to take my meds.....

Stupid iPad autocorrect - that should be landmine explosion.

Jim

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Good to know that only ear buds cause hearing loss so I can carry on cranking my car stereo up to the mad with the top down and be perfectly safe.
I'm all for letting people know there is a risk but what's the fun of legislating away ALL the risk and it would seem to me that lecturing young people against something is the quickest way to ensure they do it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Completely lost my hearing in my right ear and partially in my left ear when I was 5. So yeah, I have a perfectly legit reason to listen to loud music. Also have built in hearing protection when I go shooting. ;)

I'm pretty sure there's far more deaf people from the 1970s who went to Led Zeppelin concerts than there are for the modern generation listening to Dragon Force on their phones and ear buds.
I don't know, I always considered hearing impairment to be a prerequisite for listening to Dragon Force... Not my cup of tea. (Not that my choice of hardcore music gets any better reviews.)

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
I have 40% hearing loss in each ear. And I have been wearing muffs since I began shooting in 1974. 90 plus percent of my shooting has been done indoors so that may account for part of it. Less sound spread like in open air.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I have some loss (?%) in my left ear and constant tinnitus esp in the left ear. I mostly blame loud rock concerts and loud music (yeah it's my fault) from my rock'n'roll youth.
Shooting, especially hunting, probably contributed too of course.
I a lot so had a bad ear infection when seven yrs old and the doc punctured my left eardrum to drain fluid- I still have problems w that ear. All contributors to hearing loss.
Now I double up on plugs and muffs at the range, trying to protect what I have left.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maser said:
Completely lost my hearing in my right ear and partially in my left ear when I was 5. So yeah, I have a perfectly legit reason to listen to loud music. .
Please help me understand how that has anything to do with 15 to 25
year-olds listening to loud music on their cell phones.

Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Several years ago a non gun writer journalist was a guest at the NRA convention. When asked about his experience he was complimentary of the group but said there was something different about them that he couldn't quite explain. His host said "They're all deaf; they stand around yelling at each other." The writer said "Bingo, that's it."

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Please help me understand how that has anything to do with 15 to 25
year-olds listening to loud music on their cell phones.

Inquiring minds want to know.
Because I'm 25 years old and I listen to loud music on my cell phone.

·
Banned
650 Posts
I am older than 20. When I use ear buds within 30 minutes or so I have them cranked up. It seems like each time a song on the playlist really hits my mood I bump up the volume. After a couple bumps the music is pretty loud and I am still pressing the volume button.

I am sure that younger people who probably enjoy their music a little more than I do crank it up pretty loud. Crank it up is human nature

My wife complains I am deaf. Yet when she is in the same situations she cannot hear either. I will admit she hears high tones and children's voices better than I do. From working in a noisy environment and around heavy machinery I talk much louder than most people. It takes me a month or so to start talking in an "office tone" Some people who are over sensitive take me as rude.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Third row center for The Who the 1st time and 5th row center the 2nd time. Just those two alone will catch up with me some day for sure.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well James . . . . sounds like someone needs to carry a pair if wire cutters
(small size would work :) ) and then no one would have to say anything.
Except the flaming idiot with the loud music. . . . But you could then hear her. :rolleyes:

At least we know that all the idiots don't live in the US. :D
Just most.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts