Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I didn't agree with his politics but you had to respect anyone that piloted in Bombing raids over the Ploiești Oil Fields in WWII. He is a genuine war hero and another of the great generation soon to be gone.

(Reuters) - Former Democratic Senator George McGovern, remembered for a devastating defeat by Richard Nixon in the 1972 presidential election and his efforts to fight world hunger, was near death on Wednesday at a South Dakota hospice center, his family said.

McGovern, 90, was admitted to a hospice suffering from a combination of medical conditions due to age that have worsened in recent months, his family said in a statement.

"The senator is no longer responsive," the statement said. "He is surrounded by his loving family and close friends." ...
The story is lengthy so if you wish to see the entire bio:

Ex-presidential nominee George McGovern no longer responsive: family - southbendtribune.com

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
I wish his family well and though I was too young to vote in 1972 I would have voted against him but he was sincere and honest in his beliefs and you have to respect a man who has the courage of his convictions.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
I was off prepping to go to Vietnam during most of that Campaign and missed a lot of news. The comments I did hear have left a gnarly spot in the pit of my stomach for 40 years. Right there with John "killer" Kerry's congressional subcommittee comments. Sorry, I won't miss him. I'm happy he served, proud that he stepped up when it counted, and sickened that he threw all that honor away in the name of liberal politics.

He seemed like a man who was caring about his family and country. For that, I'm wishing comfort for them.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I didn't agree with his politics but you had to respect anyone that piloted in Bombing raids over the Ploiești Oil Fields in WWII. He is a genuine war hero and another of the great generation soon to be gone.
At the risk of getting thrown out of the forum I will admitt I voted for him. In retrospect I would not vote for him now. But I wish him and his family my best.

·
Banned
359 Posts
George McGovern and Pat Moynihan were the last of the principled liberals in the Democrat party. McGovern even had a battlefield conversion towards capitalism when he struggled owning a business after retirement from politics. I disagreed with him heartily on nearly everything, but a more honest and good-hearted man would be hard to find.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts