Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am, and always have been, very much a music fan. My musical tastes are uniquely my own, to be sure, and rather eclectic. I can go from the lovely sounds of Enya, and go straight from there to ZZ Top. I can go from ZZ Top to classic country, and all kinds of stops in between. However, out of the thousands of songs from hundreds of artists in my vast collection, one group stands out as my all-time favorite: George Thorogood & The Destroyers. As cliche' as it sounds, I really do have all of their albums; in fact, this is the only band that I can say that about. They are not all that well-known; often, when I tell people about them, they give me a blank look and ask: "Who?" I then say, "You know, the guy who sings 'Bad To The Bone'." That usually clears it up for them. When it comes to guitar, Thorogood is no Eddie Van Halen, nor is he the next Jimi Hendrix...but he CAN make his steel slide guitar walk and talk! Give a listen to the solo he does in the studio version of "Gear Jammer" and see if you don't agree. Mostly, he and his band do harder, edgier versions of old blues tunes, with some of his own compositions thrown in. George is rather a humble, self-deprecatory sort when it comes to his musical career and talents. He is quoted as saying: "I went to the same school of music that Eric Clapton went to. The only thing is, he graduated with honors...and I squeaked by with a C !" He even readily admits that a lot of his songs sound very much alike. But, his fans wouldn't have it any other way. To summarize: They ain't mainstream, they ain't wildly popular...but George and company sure know how to rock n' roll, and that's good enough for me!:D

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I drink alone, yeah
With nobody else
I drink alone, yeah
With nobody else
You know when I drink alone
I prefer to be by myself

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of my favorite tunes, Jaxrider...and I don't even drink alcohol!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Love his music, he's actually a very good guitar player. You try to play some of his licks and style of playing and it gets tricky.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Love his music, he's actually a very good guitar player. You try to play some of his licks and style of playing and it gets tricky.
He's one of those guys that makes me wish I knew how to play guitar. That's okay, though...even after all of these years, my old air guitar still works great.;)

·
Registered
17,240 Posts
I got to see him play a few times. Once in a small bar back in the eighties. I also like his version of the theme song for the TV show from the seventies "Movin On".

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got to see him play a few times. Once in a small bar back in the eighties. I also like his version of the theme song for the TV show from the seventies "Movin On".
That's another thing about the guy; he's not pretentious. He once went on a tour that was christened "No Bar Too Far, No Hall Too Small".

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
George Thorogood & the "Delaware" Destroyers
True enough, but, all of my Thorogood CDs [and records and cassettes] are marked as either "George Thorogood" or "George Thorogood & The Destroyers". Some of them mention Delaware, but only in production credits, as in, "Produced by Terry Manning & The Delaware Destroyers". Go figure.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Love George Thorogood, he puts on a fantastic live show. I've seen him three times and each time I've wondered why I haven't seen him more often. He may not have the finesse of Clapton but he is a rockin guitarist and seems to genuinely have fun up there.

·
Registered
463 Posts
One of the few individuals I have been privilaged to see live, and enjoyed every minute of it. Always was a big fan of George T.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Love George Thorogood, he puts on a fantastic live show. I've seen him three times and each time I've wondered why I haven't seen him more often. He may not have the finesse of Clapton but he is a rockin guitarist and seems to genuinely have fun up there.
I have only ever been to one concert in my 45 years on this earth, and you can bet that it was put on by Thorogood! He gave a stellar performance, three encores, and the audience got more than their money's worth.:D

·
Registered
17,240 Posts
When I drink alone, I prefer to be by myself.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts