Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found one of these at a Gun Show about 6 months ago. It is a big heavy stainless steel knife 14 1/2 inches long, blade is 9 1/4 inches long, and the blade is a 1/4 inch thick, with a very heavy black quality made thick canvas sheath . And it is in really good shape and looks almost like knew. The owner said he had just traded for it. And Called it a Gerber Australian Utility Bowie Knife. Other than that he didn`t really know much about it. He sold it to me for $25.00 and I think I got a really good deal. Do any of You Guys have any info on this knife. Quality Level, Price, or any other info You may have on it. Would be of great interest to me. Thanks In Advance.
ken

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
there are hits on the interwebz if you search for it. Sounds like it was made by Fox in Italy. If you paid $25, you got an amazing deal. 8 years ago, sounds like they were selling between $150-200.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Does it look like this?

I am not familiar with a 'Gerber Australian Bowie' but might have just missed it along the way. The box for the one pictured just says "BOWIE KNIFE w/Sheath Item No. 05978", guess I have had it 30 years or so. If that is what you found I would be happy to let you double your money ... even though I haven't really used the one I already have!

Bruce

·
One Star
9,639 Posts
Nice looking Gerber fixed blade FireEscape!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FireEscape: I am sorry about not getting back to You sooner. But my Wife`s health has gotten worse and I have been spending a lot more time at the Care Facility with Her. I am feeding Her twice a day now because She just won`t eat for the staff there any more. But my knife & sheath looks exactly like the one in your picture, thanks for the help. I am really not a very knowledgeable knife guy anymore. And I don`t really even look at knife makers & sellers tables at Gun Shows very often. And when I walked up to this guy & his wife's table, they had a pile of 6 or 8 fix blade knives laying there that they had just traded for. And the big Gerber knife was on the bottom of the stack. And some how I seen it and I asked them to see it. Neither one of them seemed to know any thing about it. And all I knew for sure was that it said GERBER USA PORTLAND OR on both the Knife and Sheath and both were in real good shape and both were in like new condition. I asked how much and He said $25.00. And I quickly paid his wife and walked away. And I am very happy with my new large heavy GERBER BOWIE. Like I said the knife and the sheath are in like new condition and the knife is very sharp. I carried a Gerber Mark in Vietnam and I have a couple of other Gerber Knives. So I guess I have to say I like Gerber Knives. Thanks for Your help.
ken

·
Registered
432 Posts
Sorry to hear about your wife's health, family certainly takes precedence over toys and hobbies (although they can be a welcome distraction at times).

Not sure exactly when I bought that Gerber but 1990 would be a reasonable guess and while guessing would add that it cost 'about' $125. You did very well getting yours. Mine would probably work just fine as a heavy 'survival' or 'camp' knife but that is not likely in my lifetime. I have a similar sized Gerber BMF under the back seat of my truck should I 'need' a big blade for anything. Interestingly I have seen very few of the Gerber Bowies. I don't think that they sold well, while useful, the 'rubber' handle material may not have been traditional enough. I knew someone who camped down in the same place in the FL Keys (very rustic, lots of mangroves and time in the water) as we did and he always carried a large fixed blade that had a 'familiarity' about it. Turns out that it was a Gerber Bowie that had been through a fire in his shop, the handle melted away so he made a wooden replacement.
While not having any military service, I do have a Gerber MK II that lives on my desk. That and a 'Pixie' began my nearly 50 year history with Gerber knives.

I doubt that you will find it necessary but the offer to double (or triple) you investment will stand. Not that I need two.
Take care!

Bruce

1 - 8 of 8 Posts