Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago, I had a bunch of pistols stolen in a burglary. Today, I got a letter from the sheriff's office saying one of them has been recovered. No indication of which one it was or it's condition or its recent history. I'm going in the morning to pick it up. The burglary was partially covered by insurance so I don't know yet whether I or the insurance company will end up keeping it.

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
Hope you get to keep it.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,414 Posts
What do insurance companies do with recovered firearms?
Hope you can cut a deal to keep it.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Did they tell the insurance company? Where you instructed to? If not, I would go shoot the heck out of it at the range and wait to see if they call.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Did they tell the insurance company? Where you instructed to? If not, I would go shoot the heck out of it at the range and wait to see if they call.
My thoughts as well..... ;)

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Glad you are getting one back. I would be inclined to just keep it and enjoy it. Not sure what the insurance company would do with it. Would probably cost them more money and trouble to deal with it than what they paid you for it.

·
Super Moderator
21,697 Posts
I would write them a letter explaining it was returned by the sheriff and detail serial number, etc. I would whine about the poor condition and low value of the handgun now and ask them what the next step was. That way you avoid any appearance of fraud.

While you are waiting I would get a value from a local gun shop (what they would give you for it) and if the insurance company comes back to you wants it back offer half the value back to them. If you had a deductible applied then spread it over each of them to see what you were paid for it. e.g. if you had $8,000 worth stolen and had a $500 deductible and received $7,500 then you received 93.75% of value from them for each one. You know what they paid you for it, they don't want the gun back so you may get to keep it for short money. Refuse to give them even close to their money back and keep whining about how much you'll have to put back into.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It may not be worth the hassle. It is an old 9x18 Polish P-64 - at the bottom of the list in my 'I hope I see it again' order. It's a pocket rocket, small but even in good shape, it's literally a pain to shoot as the recoil beats on the webbing between thumb and finger. The gun is filthy and full of lint like someone was carrying it in a pocket and never cleaned it. Lots of what looks like holster wear. It appeared to have been fired since there is a heavy coat of soot all over the inside. I have no idea how it could have been fired though. The magazine in it was from a Makarov. It might can be pushed up inside the he grip but the latches are all wrong and it would never feed. I tried putting a P-64 magazine in it and it drags so much it takes quite a bit of force to insert and remove the magazine. I'm guessing someone Bubba'd the grip frame in an attempt to keep the Makarov magazine from dropping out.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sheriffs office called this morning. They recovered a second gun. It's another P-64 like the first one. Parts were hard to find and the guns were cheap so when I bought one, I bought a second one for spare parts if necessary. This one has a lot of the blue gone but otherwise seems to be in pretty good shape. I just wish they would find the MarkIII. That's the main one I really wanted back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts