Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved a bunch of stuff in my basement, cleaned off my old reloading bench and moved it to a location where there is better light. Mounted my 2 old H-style presses - a C&H and a Bair on it. One is set up for small primers, the other for large. The presses were in a container in the attic of my garage. They picked up a little rust, so they are going to need some cleaning and lubing. All things considered, the reloading equipment looks like it's in pretty good shape. Dug out the powder scale and a couple of powder measures, loading blocks, the .45 ACP dies and shell holders.

I picked up 500 Oregon Trail Laser Cast .452 200 Gr SWC's and a 4 die carbide set for the .40 S&W at Cabelas Sunday. They didn't have any .40 cal laser cast bullets. I ordered some 170 Gr SWC's from Kead yesterday. Should have them in a week or two.

I'm getting pretty excited about reloading again. It's been a veeeery long time.
Tom:D

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Wow! I thought I was the only guy living to still have an old Bair press, although mine is a C style. I have loaded literally hundreds of thousands of rounds on that old press, and I bought it used!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quote:Originally posted by gunman42782

Wow! I thought I was the only guy living to still have an old Bair press, although mine is a C style. I have loaded literally hundreds of thousands of rounds on that old press, and I bought it used!
Sure enough! There's a lot older farts around than you. Mine is a Brown Bair H-style and I bought it used for $15.00 at a gun show about 30 years ago. There was a bunch of other stuff in the box with it. The C&H press has loaded tens of thousands of rounds. Until I bought the Bair, I used it exclusively to load handgun rounds. I was shooting on a pistol team and loaded all my .38's and .45 acp on it. Also loaded .32, .357, .41, .44 and .45C on it. After getting the Bair I used one for small primer cases and the other for large. (Too lazy to change out the primer stud)
Tom

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quote:Originally posted by legacy38

I have bought all of the equipment, but I have yet to actually load any rounds with it.

So, I guess I got close, but I ain't getting much closer as of late. :)
It's time consuming, but fun. Might as well jump in - I am.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
You definately have the fever Rman. I had to sell my guns back around 1980 do to financial hardship except for my berretta. Coupla years later after I started accumulating again I got the fever and started loading with my best friend. We used my old rcbs rock chucker and other equipment. Since then we have come a long way, Redding multistation press and now a rcbs2000 progressive. Set up a real solid home made bench down at his place where we have plenty of room and reload mostly 45 colt since between the two of us we have 7 .45 colt shooters.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whitedog - it sounds like you've come a long ways from the Rockchucker. (I still got one of them I used for my rifles.) My stuff is old and primitive, but it makes good ammo as long as you have lots of time. I always enjoyed reloading. Feels great when you come up with a load that shoots extra good in a gun. I got out of shooting and reloading altogether for about 20 years. It was a combination of things - no place to shoot after they closed up the free outdoor range, too far to drive and costly membership at the other range, money problems and no friends who did much shooting any more. I'm still pretty much a loner on the shooting, but I enjoy it anyway. Can't wait to get started loading again. It was always relaxing for me. I could put everything else out of my mind and just concentrate on what I was doing. It's sure a lot better than sitting around watching the boob tube every night.
Tom

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I ts a lot of fun to load with a good friend altho I'Ve done most of my reloading by myself until the last few years. A lot quicker now than the old rockchucker days.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Im getting into it myself! I got a buddy that had the Dillon 550, I have bought my own dies and powder measures and some other stuff and use his press. One of these days if I stop buying guns I will buy my own press!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I just got into reloading about 10 months ago and I am almost 100% self taught. I have spent enought on Winchester ammo to build a new factory for them over the years. I wish I would have done this 30yrs ago. Aszor don't put it off any longer. You and the boy will enjoy many hours together loading and shooting. Good luck to all you guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.